Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA
49865320

My mother-in-law has a framed, signed, CF Goldie print which

My mother-in-law has a framed, signed, CF Goldie print which she inherited in the late 1950s / early 1960s. I have recently learned that it is very likely to be a rare print. It is titled A Good Joke and something like ("Allee Same Te Pakeha") 1905. For insurance purposes could you please idicate what value we should place on it.

This may well be unusual but there have been Charles Frederick Goldie (1870 - 1947) prints seen on the World wide markets in the last few years (as well as signed original pieces which you may know are very valuable). Do you have any images to share? This will help. Dori

Here are some options to share images: (let me know if these don't work for you...I understand that images are tricky)

Go to http://www.imgur.com/

1. Click "Computer"

2. Double click the image you want to upload

3. Click "Start Upload"

4. When the image appear on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work:

You can email the pictures to [email protected], and ask them to forward the pictures to me...

Put Dori in Antiques in the subject line and add your User Name j2nyz5be somewhere in the message or subject line. (email is very slow right now so patience is key if you choose this option. Thank you!)

Thank you for your efforts. I did get the image and it is a wonderful C. F. Goldie. This print is not rare but does have value.

The most recent market value of this is very clear as it sold in New Zealand in late February and the market estimate was NZD500 - NZD800 for an example of this print A Good Joke in very good condition. (The public auction record of what it sold for has not be printed yet) However here are a good many examples of this print being sold so you can see the availablity...and unfortunately these are selling way too low for a nice Goldie. I hope the February sale sold at true value.

Lot 179: Early Goldie print in oak frame, titled 'A Good

Early Goldie print in oak frame, titled 'A Good Joke'.

Realized : NZD50

Watsons Auction House: Christchurch, New Zealand

Auction Date: August 16, 2010

Lot 188: C.F Goldie framed print

C.F Goldie framed print

Realized : NZD70

Auction Date: May 18, 2010

Lot 350: A chromolithograph of a painting by Charles F.

A chromolithograph of a painting by Charles F. Goldie of Te Aho o Te Rangi Wharepu of the Maori Ngati Mahutu tribe Waikato New Zealand , signed C.J. Goldie Chuckland. NZ " and dated "1905" in the print 31.5 cm x 37 cm."

Hampstead Auctions Ltd: Hampstead, United Kingdom

Auction Date: October 29, 2009

A few others

Lot 187: C.F Goldie framed print

C.F Goldie framed print

Realized : NZD80

Auction Date: May 18, 2010

Lot 872: An Oak Framed Print by C F Goldie 'Relic of a Noble Race'

An Oak Framed Print by C F Goldie 'Relic of a Noble Race'

Realized : NZD150

Webb's: Epsom, New Zealand

Auction Date: September 23, 2010

lotDetail

Estimated Price:

NZD200 - NZD300

C F Goldie Kapai! Te Torori (Good! the Tobacco) colour vintage print, c.1918 270 x 225mm

I hope this helps. If you would like to contact Art+Object to discuss your print, this maybe worth your time. Their sales numbers are not published.

ART+OBJECT

XXXXX Newton

PO Box 68 345

Newton , Auckland

New Zealand 1145

Telephone : + 64 9(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Fax : +64 9(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Website : http://www.artandobject.co.nz/

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press "accept" as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! This button will not charge you further but credits me for my work.

PPS Positive feedback is very much appreciated. If you have any reason to leave "less than positive feedback," please contact me first, so that I can ensure that you are properly assisted with your question. I am happy to follow up and clarify or add further information.