Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Steamer folding chair-has caning-stamped-A COLLIGNON

WESTWOOD N J
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello,my name is Glenda

Thank you for choosing Us for your appraisal needs.

The Antique Collingnon Steamer Chair circa: 1870 - early 1900's is currently estimated to sell on the secondary retail market ( known selling price ) for an average of $275.00-350.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.

This will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country.

So be sure to check your local area. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

Brothers Nicholas, Claudius and Adam Collignon born in NY to French immigrants in the early Nineteenth hundred years. By 1831, the family had moved to Bergen County, N.J., where, in 1857, the brothers opened a furniture manufacturing unit.

The story of the Collignon folding discovery stems from Nicholas' 1849 travel to San Francisco and his return to New Jersey in 1855. It appears that Nicholas observed that nearly each family's covered wagon carried a rocker so that even in particularly tight quarters, a mama might nurse and sooth an irritable child. Nicholas observed that these unwieldy chunks of furniture had to be kept on the out of the wagons, and he visualized a folding chair that might be more effortlessly transported.

From the starting, the Collignon corporation focused on folding chairs. It developed and distributed the first folding rocker in 1868 and defended its discovery with Fifteen patents. By 1880, it was creating more than Thirty diverse models, incorporating rockers, steamer chairs, extension steamer chairs and invalid chairs with caned, upholstered or maybe carpeted seats and backs. They were special producers of deck chairs for the Cunard Line and the Pacific Steamship Corporation.

By the turn of the hundred years the Collignon manufacturing unit engaged more than One Hundred men. Moreover, ladies and offsprings worked at home to make the caned seats and backs, and the city's wood and drayage business thrived.

Dozens of organizations duplicated the Collignons and made folding chairs. These handheld chairs are from time to time alluded to as campaign chairs, as they would be easy to move from encampment to encampment. They were in addition famous with those intrepid Victorians who got joy from picnicking in cemeteries with their deceased loved ones.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

I look forward to working with you again.

Please press the Accept Button ( and the smiley face Smile if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept and the Smiley Face Smile does not cost you anymore, this is the only way I am compensated. I greatly appreciate this.

Have a great day.

Glenda

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.