Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

Chester Comstock solid bronze Owl sculpture signed and dated

Chester Comstock solid bronze Owl sculpture signed and dated 1981, 8 1/4" tall on 4 1/4" square wooden base. Mr. Comstocks studio phone is disconnected and his e-mail does not work?? How may I learn - the name of the piece - the insurance or sale value? Thank you very much. Matthew Watts, MA Pleasanton, California

Here is a picture of one just like mine - http://www.icollector.com/Chester-Comstock-bronze-sculpture-of-Owl_i8379438 

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
And the one you link to is EXACTLY like yours?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is cast from the same mold, perhaps a different date. same owl same base
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
Thanks...checking comps for you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No hurry. The artists studio site has a disconnected phone number and an out of order e-mail so this is not a simple search.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you check eBay...that's me with it listed at a high price which is one way of getting info from experts online...they write with links and info, such as with a toy Batmobile I recently listed just for that purpose...got great info on it, links, photos, etc...though I still am waiting for one piece of info on it...the date on the bottom of the toy.

As for my Owl...it's a mystery where the artist is and why his guest page does not work, phone is disconnected, and e-mail off line. deceased? no, I don't think so...there would be articles and an obituary, etc. It's a mystery.

Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.

Well, I found it is part of the "Owls of North America" series but not much more...his email is listed as [email protected] (here is a link in case this site blocks it)

http://www.artsales.com/comstock/workinprogress.html

or try this...

Comstock Sculpture Studio
1201 West Thornton Parkway #313
Thornton C0. 80260
Telephone(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Seems like the secondary market price range is $100 to $150, so not exactly top end art at present....hope this helps! Best, Will

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, I saw that bid on my own, and the contact info as well, but the phone number is XXXXX and not of use at this time.

May I slip by without paying for this one? It was not of use and the same as I had already done myself.

In the future I will try you again, but this time was a stumper.

Ok?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.

That is up to you...I spent about 50 minutes searching info for you and even called the number...it did not say disconnected, however...and the email shows as working from my end.

I am only compensated for my time and efforts by accepted answers and I did all possible, short of writing to the address or calling the local Chamber of Commerce, which is the next logical step...ball is in your court. Best, Will