Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.

Crossed swords beneath a crown?

Crossed swords beneath a crown?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Can you be more specific about what you need? Are you asking what the mark means? Is it on pottery?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's on the base of a white china octagonal box contains 4 glass perfume bottles, box beautifully painted with birds and flowers. The mark is a domed crown with crossed swords below.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Does it look similar to this:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have taken a photo but where do I send it to?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Here's a few different methods of how can send photos:

In this message box, you will see a little paper clip at the top. Click it.

Then click on browse and another box will open up. Click on browse in that box. This will take you to the photos on your computer.

Click on the one you want to send. Double click on the image.

You'll be taken back to the upload box. Click OK. You'll be taken back to your original box.

Click Insert and you should be able to see the picture in the message area before you send it to me.

3) This method seems to be one of the favorites:

Go to

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

As a last resort, you can email them:

Email the pictures to [email protected]. They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up for Just Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.

Hi again.

I’ve been over every book I have dealing with marks and I don’t have an exact match to a factory name for yours. The crown and swords is typically a Miessen mark, but it’s overall design has been copied by dozens of factories dating back to the 1800s. Most are out of Europe; usually out of Germany and France and date to the early to mid 1900s. Odds are your box and bottles came from this area and timeframe. I did find one more image of it but there’s no recorded company.

As far as the box style goes, it’s a Limoges style perfume box. Based on the similar pieces I found and have records of, it should have a current secondary market value in the range of £25 to £40.

rices will vary a bit depending on the condition of your pieces and where you try to it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales do tend to go for less.
I'm not sure where you're located, but craigslist is a worthy shot because it's free. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternatives to Ebay.
and are pretty good up and coming online sites.

Since you're in the UK, local press is a good way to go. You can also try Gumtree,,,, and'

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. If there is a problem with my answer, please contact me before leaving any neutral or negative feedback. I want to make sure you're satisfied.

Please click accept or the smiles if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA. Smile

Thanks and have a great day,