Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

old fashion secretary desk on one side and a curio on the other

old fashion secretary desk on one side and a curio on the other side. The casters have a date of 1865. the top has a shelf with a mirror on the back. the desk door lets down and become the writing area. Inside the desk are 11 compartments for files. The door has a separate key from the curio side. The curio has a glass door with a key and seven adjustable wooden shelves. Over the desk is a storage area with 5'8" glass door. Under the desk their are 3
3" drawers.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

Is there any chance you have a picture of it?

Here are a few different methods if you can send a picture:

1)
In this message box, you will see a little paper clip at the top. Click it.

Then click on browse and another box will open up. Click on browse in that box. This will take you to the photos on your computer.

Click on the one you want to send. Double click on the image.

You'll be taken back to the upload box. Click OK. You'll be taken back to your original box.

Click Insert and you should be able to see the picture in the message area before you send it to me.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a different method that we have good results with if you want to try it:

2. TinyPic is a good place to upload photos. You do have to have the images saved on your computer, but you can upload photos without having to register or give them any information.

1) Go to www.tinypic.com
2) The first thing you'll see is an upload page.
3) Click on "Browse".
4) Choose the image you want to upload.
5) Make sure the file type chosen is "Image".
6) In the "Resize" box, leave it as "default".
7) Click "Upload Now".

You'll see a verification box pop up. Just type in the words it shows and click "upload now". It might take a few minutes to upload.

Once it does, you'll be given 4 different viewing options.

Just copy either the addresses in the "URL for E-Mail & IM" and paste the link into the message box.

It should look something like this: http://tinypic.com/r/2myuh/7
____________________________________________________

3) This method seems to be one of the favorites:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

As a last resort, you can email them:

Email the pictures to [email protected]. They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up for Just Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

Let me know if you need help.

~Diana
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

I got your pictures.

It's a side by side secretary. Without a tag it’s almost impossible to say who made it. I can tell you that it’s a Victorian side by side secretary. It’s very much in the style that was very popular during the mid to late 1800s, so your castors were pretty dead on. =) It look like its burled walnut or mahogany in the pictures. The 2nd mirrors is a bit interesting. The one above the desk is common, but the one on top is a bit different.

Based on my records of recent sales and similar listings, it should have a current market value estimated in the range of $2400 to $2800 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. This will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop, or Private sale compared to an auction. Depending on condition and where it is for sale at the selling price may not bring the current market price.

If you are interested in selling it, I would try all free possibilities---craigslist, the newspaper, ebayclassifieds. You might also consider talking to local antique shop owners about possibly selling it to a dealer, but keep in mind that a dealer likely will not offer value because they'll need to make a profit. You can also ask about a consignment.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. If there is a problem with my answer, please contact me before leaving any neutral or negative feedback. I want to make sure you're satisfied.

Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great day,
Diana