ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a coin Ioannes XXIII PONTIFEX MAXIMUS profile of Pope

I have a coin Ioannes XXIII PONTIFEX MAXIMUS profile of Pope on one side and 1881 IN MEMORIAM 1963 on the otherside , This is a bracelet stamped (375) 14ct yellow gold solid curblink weight 40.27grams. Approx 21cm long and is attached to the commemorative vatican coin. Then what looks like a Griffin atop of a tower above that a Popes corronet. Two keys or staffs cross this and a sheild shape with small fluer de lies within.
Can you tell me if I wanted to sell this item what price I could expect and where best to sell. I know the name of the Pope just wonder how many of these coins are available. Thank You Celeste.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the inquiry! It appears that you have a medallion that was made for use in jewelry. Similar examples are produced today and for resale value, it would likely be around the gold value. I would recommend taking it to a local coin shop that buys gold or to a stand-alone jewelry shop that buys gold; get three separate offers on it. The coin itself may not be gold, and the main value would be in the bracelet. As this is likely a medal produced for use in jewelry and not a coin - which has a value in trade - likely many, many were produced and today there is not a robust collector market for it that would support a value higher than the gold value.

Thanks again. Please let me know if I may be of further help. If this answer was useful, kindly press the green accept button as it is the only way that experts receive any compensation for helping you (even when you leave a deposit)!