Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA
49865320

I have an antique German Shrunk that I got from a military

I have an antique German Shrunk that I got from a military family that moved around the world. They found it in an East German Barn after the wall fell. It says 1842 and has painted scenes of each person and birds in greens and reds. How much is this worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer. I would definately like to continue and get an answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to continue. I can increase the amount of money if that's an issue, at the beginning there was an expert who was going to answer the question for $40
Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
This image is a picture of a bow back windsor arm chair. Are you interested in this piece as well or have an image of your German piece? I would be happy to help but I am trying to figure out what we are considering. Thanks for the additional information! Dori
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is definately not my picture. I had posted a picture of a German 52x72x20 shrunk with double doors with cameos of a man and woman on each door perspectively with initials over the male and 1842 over the female with continued vignettes of birds and flowers on sides and lower doors. I will try to attach a pic for you. graphic

Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.

Gosh this is beautiful. Thank you for the extra effort to share this.

This small German paint decorated and faux marble, possible marriage, schrank dated 1842, may well be from the Bavaria area. The faux-marbled cornice and trim with hand painted portraits and birds are beautifully executed and the original paint is in great condition. The size is much smaller than many that are found from the period but the coloration and handling of the detail are quite classic. This would have a value in the range of 1200.00-1500.00 on the fine antique market currently looking at World wide auction data of the last three years.

However if you sold this, I would highly encourage a sale at a high end auction house where this may bring a bit more. The date and the markings are all significant and the piece is enhanced by the provenance which should be recorded and tucked inside. Wonderful.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press "accept" as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! This button will not charge you further but credits me for my work.

PPS Positive feedback is very much appreciated. If you have any reason to leave "less than positive feedback," please contact me first, so that I can ensure that you are properly assisted with your question. I am happy to follow up and clarify or add further information.

Experience: 25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA