Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I have a 1876 version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Samuel

I have a 1876 version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Samuel L. Clemens. The cover is blue with Tom Sawyer at the top, Samuel Clemens at the bottom and a sillouette of Tom Sawyer in the middle. The edges have some wear issues and the top corners of the pages are starting to wear from age. The pages are very yellow and the inside indicates "Complete New Edition Illustrated" and it was published by The Goldsmith Publishing Company, Chicago. I've been unsuccessful at finding any information on this book or if there is any value to the book. Any assistance you can give on this will be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.

How many pages, please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The book has 317 pages.
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.

Thanks...sorry, but it is not a rare book. And not 1876...the publishing company did not exist until around 1915 and before that, the company name was Goldsmith-Woolard Publishing Company. All editions (and there are several) by that publisher I can find range from a few dollars to $15...again, sorry!

Here is a similar example currently being offered for sale:

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Clemens, Samuel L Bookseller: The Drowsy Owl Bookshop (Champlin, MN, U.S.A.) Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 1.00

Book Description: Goldsmith Publishing Company N.D., Chicago, IL. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. Edgewear and chipping, bumped corners, stained top board, rubbing, otherwise clean and neat. ; "Complete new edition. Illustrated." ; Bookseller Inventory # XXXXX