Southwb
Southwb, Estate Company Owner & Antique Dealer
Experience:  I have been in the estate liquidation and antique business for over 15 years.

Weve recently inherited a set of Rosenthal dinnerware, some

We've recently inherited a set of Rosenthal dinnerware, some with a silver Steiner Studios logo. Could you point us in the direction of where to find more info on this?Thanks,
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Southwb replied 2 years ago.

Southwb :

Hello

Southwb :

Are you looking for a value or too find more pieces to your set?

Southwb :

What you have here is vintage Rosenthal Studio line dinnerware, quite popular starting in the early 1960s I believe, they still make it today, rosenthal is a very expensive china and quite desirable on the market today. Can you tell me, how many pieces do you have and how many of those pieces are damaged(if any)?

Customer:

Hi. Thank you for your questions. I just lovingly and most meticulously packed every piece of the set. Below you will find the inventory. Several bits of other information you may find useful include a) I would be surprised that the set was not created before the early 1960s as you suggest. I remember this set as a child for the first time during that time frame exactly, however.But I also remember believing that it had been in the family a long time early on. Perhaps a better understanding of the affiliation between Rosenthal, Selb Germany and Steiner Studios Los Angeles, CA would help us date its creation. b) the set is absolutely flawless except for one glued back together broken coffee cup rim and possibly a missing bread and butter plate. Here is the inventory:

Customer:

10" dinner plate - qty 12

Customer:

7
7 1/2" salad plate - qty 12
7" dessert plate - qty 12

Customer:

6" bread & butter plate _ qty 11 or 12
5 1/2" saucers - qty 12
berry bowls - qty 12
2 handle soup - qty 12
coffee cups - qty 11 + 1 damaged
gravy boat
covered vegetable dish
oval serving dish
large serving platter
smaller serving platter

Thank you!

Southwb :

According to my book research, Steiner Studios was the distributor or the reseller of the china, and thus marked some pieces with their logo, do you have a photo of just one of the pieces(a serving piece is best) so I can accurately date the china?

Southwb :

Ok, judging by your photos, you do have an older set, I would date it to the mid-late 1930s based on the gilded art deco styling of the dishes.

Customer:

Along with a date, what would the value be of this set?

Southwb :

I would date it from between 1932 and 1936. The value of your full piece set, counting the damaged piece, would be a fair market value of $6500-$8500. I would Insure the set for $10,000 replacement value.

Southwb :

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX Accept and Have a Great Day!!!

Customer:

2 last questions: 1) Some of the pieces, e.g. dinner plates, have above the Steiner Studios logo in the same silver "HAND DECORATED". What part of the creation of the pieces would Steiner have been responsible for?; 2) What is the value you would place on this set given its pristine condition (plates all have stacking felt rounds between them) and inventory? Thank you!

Customer:

Also, this just occurred to me: my maternal grandfather and his very wealthy family immigrated to the United States from Germany between 1910-1920. Is it all possible that the family brought this set with them from Germany and had it custom serviced by Steiner?

Southwb :

The steiner studio logos were stamped on some pieces as they were the distributors of the china after it was manufactured by Rosenthal( just as tiffany and co does today with their spode china). Your china is a very good set and rosenthal is very desirable to say the set is worth $6500-$8500 in current market means it is at the top(most similar china companies sell for only a few thousand). As far as the year, this is without a doubt a set of 1930s rosenthal as I have found the pattern in a rosenthal guidebook. The style is mid to late art deco, rosenthal was not very popular in europe it was mostly made to be sold to upper class Americans at that time

Southwb :

I would call you set a very prisitine set of vintage china and with the desirability for art deco goods those values are currently at almost peak values.

Customer:

Thank you very much for this information. Since you found the pattern in a Rosenthal guide book, can you please give me its name or reference number?

Southwb :

The book is called Rosenthal it is by Truss.

Customer:

Thank you very much. You have been most responsive and informative.

Experience: I have been in the estate liquidation and antique business for over 15 years.