S. August Abbott
S. August Abbott, BusinessOwner, Buy/Sell/Appraise
Experience:  Buy & Sell Antiques, Collectibles for more than 30 years

Which Duck House Doll do I have?

Customer Question

Which Duck House Doll do I have?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  S. August Abbott replied 2 years ago.
--- All Duck House dolls are marked on their upper back, below the hairline. You should see "Duck House" and perhaps a number.

If you don't see the words "Duck House" it's not a Duck House doll.

Can you tell me anything more about this doll? The provenance? That is, how it came to be in your care; when, where from, were there any papers with her, a box, anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is stamped Duck House underneath her hairline along with a silhouette of a duck with the words "Collectible Dolls" under the silhouette; hence I asked which doll she was. I purchased her along with six other dolls at an estate sale approximately two years ago. I have identified the rest, but can't find her. I am in the U.S., there are no papers; hence I would not be asking, nor a box. I've searched eBay and practically everywhere online. Her markings are identical to the other Duck House Dolls I have.
-- That's perfect. At least she's authentic and that's a very good thing. Duck House isn't really making dolls like this anymore. They're more into making lamps and decorations for little girls and creative ladies' bedrooms or parlours.

I'm in the U.S. too (California).

--- I suspect that this doll might have been re-dressed and that's why identifying is difficult. BUT, I love a good quest and I'll be happy to keep looking for you, using my own sources.

Are you in a rush for this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, not at all, I appreciate you asking; therefore I know you've not given up or I'm not just wondering. I know you have other items you are working on, too. Do you have an idea of a time frame in which you might be able to find out more? Also, were the 'Duck House Dolls' ever sold out of Hallmark Card Stores by any chance, if you know? I don't know how to properly address you. Thanks, Kim
Hi Kim, I'm August. I appreciate your patience and it's not that anyone else is a priority, it's that this doll has ME stumped too! But like I said, I love a challenge and I'll find her or exhaust myself trying.

What I can tell you is that Duck House dolls began in Los Angeles, CA in 1981 as a collectible doll for budget minded households. They are now Golden Keepsake Collectible Dolls.

I do not believe they were sold from Hallmark stores because in '84 a Hallmark Card created doll called Rainbow Brite overtook them in sales and popularity. Duck House was a more 'adult' doll though, given the porcelain and the 'certificate of authenticity' gimmick.

when it comes to valuing your doll that's going to be a drawback. Not having her certificate and box and all that. But let's her identified first.

I should have something by tomorrow/Friday early afternoon if that's ok. If not, then just hit the 're list' option on your end and that will open this up for others.

I understand if you do - but either way, I'm on the hunt now Wink

I'm also signing off for the night 'cause it's almost 1 a.m. here. Talk to you tomorrow,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
August,
I'll patiently await your sole search. Thanks for your time. Sleep well.....
Kim
-- Hi Kim, well, hitting every darn brick wall there is on this, but not quitting. Not by a long shot. I've used one connection to get to another connection and right now am waiting on a response from the company itself. They will surely know what the heck this adorable baby doll's name and issue date is.

I'll keep looking in the meantime, but just wanted to keep you up to date on where I am

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi August,
Thanks so much for keeping me posted. I'm going to try to attach a couple more images here.....graphic
graphic
Thanks again August!!
Kim
-- Still working for you Kim. I have a few different sources looking into it right now and will of course tell you the minute I hear from any one of them. I must say though, she's certainly not going to be found to be a common Duck House doll.

She's got to be a keeper right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi August,
Yep, a keeper. I love your birds, they're gorgeous! Thanks for the update in letting me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks again,
Kim
-- Thanks for the compliment about the macaws. I own an exotic bird rescue org (which is supported by my work here and my buying & selling in 'real' life). Each bird you see is a rescue from a bad situation. Hundreds more have been rescued, rehabbed and re-homed.

--- Now, as for your doll. STILL working on this. Multiple sources have thrown their hands up in frustration already, but two others are digging in and still trying to find out just 'who' she is.

One called her "Laughing Trudy" since she's eerily like the Crying Trudy
---
graphic

--- but, 'til I have a 'for sure' answer for you, we'll leave this open and I'll continue to let you know I'm still here and still trying.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi August,
I love what you're doing with the exotic bird rescue; to me they're so important as are our tropical rainforests and I could go on........what a flair for the extraordinary in you, it's awesome!
I've seen the doll you posted, and another one called Jolene, I think? I'm going to try to put a couple more close ups of her face on here, I'm not sure which ones I've already posted. I wanted to put some close ups of her hands and feet, too. Thanks so much, August for keeping me updated. I did purchase a monthly subscription; hence I will be tipping you. I'm going to try to do some research on my own, too. Were fakes made? I don't think they're that valuable for someone to do knock-offs of them, besides, this doll just looks too much like them. Hmmmmmm...........Hand

Hand

Foot
-- Duck House dolls were made so inexpensively and meant for 'everyone' to be able to collect that I have really never heard of anyone copying them. Although I could understand an uninformed, unsophisticated locale perhaps doing so very early on, being fooled by the 'certificates' and fact that series' were 'retired'.
----
I actually have one person who is looking into this for 'us' right now. I've given them a lot to live up to by telling them I 'know they can do it'. Now we just have to hope that they actually DO.----

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great! The power of positive persuasion........I hope we find some good news after all of this time your taking. Thanks again.
Kim
-- I don't mind the time. It's nice to have someone not just patient, but working along with me. I appreciate the additional pics and the brainstorming. I did consider a possible 'reproduction' at first, but it just doesn't make sense with dolls of this price range.

---
Of course with that said, I never had such a challenge in identifying a doll so clearly marked. This is a first.

Don't give up. I'm waiting to hear back from the one last source I've got. fingers crossed!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for letting me know, it really means a lot!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi August,
I guess we're back in business? Have you been able to find anything else out? Thanks so much, I missed you, hah!
Kim
-- I started to write twice today, but then put it off, hoping to hear from my source. I think this adorable doll is stumping everyone - BUT until everyone says they give up, I'm not giving up. I don't want you to either ok? Most of all, don't give up on me. I'm a pitbull on these things

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll never give up on you, this is an adventure to me, we're on a quest together, hopefully there's a pot of gold at the end of our rainbow; if the rainbow were a scale though, I'm not quite sure where we're at, hah!

Register Here
You'd think someone would really be able to get a lead because she is stamped. Did you look at the stamp closely? I'm kind of leaning and wondering again if she's a fake. But then again, they weren't that pricey so I don't know why someone would try to replicate a doll that's apparently not that popular or well known, know what I mean? Good to talk to you again!
Kim
- Yeah, the fake part is so remote that if it actually was (fake) it might be worth more than a genuine Duck!
Thanks for your sense of humor -- hopefully by Weds/tomorrow we'll know something. Anything. Even if they have to make it up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hah!

Register Here