Michelle
Michelle, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience as an antiques dealer, collector, researcher, columnist and journalist.
52213563

we have an old spitoon from the union pacific railroad, any

we have an old spitoon from the union pacific railroad, any idea of what it may be worth.? the condition is not great, can still see the steam engine on the face.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I look forward to working with you on your item.

If you could please post a photo for me to see it would be very helpful. These cuspidors have been heavily reproduced and while it is always best to look at them in person I should be able to make a determination from a good photo.

Please let me know if you need help getting a photo online.

Thank you, Michelle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will take one and forward it to you. Thanks, Holly
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

You can email them toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with my name, Michelle in antiques and they will be emailed to me. It can take several hours for me to get the photos depending upon how busy the site is.

Once I get the photos I will get back with you.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle,

I just forwarded 4 photos to your email address, with your name in the subject area.

Hope they came through to you.

thanks for your help.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will keep an eye out for them. It will probably be tomorrow morning before they get to me.

I buy and sell a lot of spittoons including the reproduction ones so I should be able to tell straight away whether yours is old.

Thanks so much, Michelle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle,

Did you ever receive my pictures? Just wondering.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I received your photos this morning and with all the rain I have done nothing but wipe muddy dog paws and give two baths today.

As for your spittoon, the weighted base is correct for an old piece but the Union Pacific Railroad spittoon is so heavily reproduced that I am 100% certain that this is a reproduction. Primarily it does not show appropriate signs of wear for something that was sitting on the floor and being kicked around.

Most spittoons are very low, squat items with a large flare at the top or they are round like a bowl with concave piece on top with a hole in the center.

Here are some photos from an old wholesale catalog http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/hw_spittoons/handlan_spittoon1_b.jpg

People still love the reproduction pieces and I sell them all the time noting that they are new items and not old with a price of $35 USD. People love them if they have a home bar area or to use as ashtrays outdoors.

Please feel free to ask me additional questions about your spittoon.

Thank you, Michelle
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience as an antiques dealer, collector, researcher, columnist and journalist.