JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02-
JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02-, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  I have researched antiques and collectibles for 30 years
38030367

A civil war sword with Case (sheath) made by M.C Lilley Co

A civil war sword with Case (sheath) made by M.C Lilley Columbus
Category: Antiques
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02- replied 4 years ago.
The founder Mitchell C. Lilley was born in 1819 in Columbus Ohio and died in 1882. Served in the Mexican War (1847-1848) and the Civil War (1861-1862). He was a bookbinder and publisher and published Masonic and Odd Fellows books. In 1865 started the M. C. LILLEY & CO which produced regalia and swords. This included society swords, US regulation swords (Model 1872 cavalry officers swords), and theatrical swords. Upon his death in 1882, the name was changed to THE M. C. LILLEY & CO and his long time partner Charles H. Lindenburg became president. They expanded into a complete line of military swords, uniforms, accessories, and equipment. They issued many military and society catalogs, including a 1919 presentation sword catalog. If this is an early Civil War sword it can be worth as much as $5500.00.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic Here are some pictures to see what you think
I am sorry but the photos did not come through. I will be happy to take a look if you can post 2 photos. ! with the grip and blade displayed. The other a close up of the M.C. Lilley mark. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphic
This sword was manufactured between 1865-1882. It appears by the eagles on the handle not to be a ceremonial or presentation sword. Unfortunately without documentation or an engraved name on the sword, it is difficult to state if it saw any Civil War service. If there are dents in the blade from combat use it also can place it in th war between the states. However the value I gave earlier is the top mark for this model and date of sword.Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX helped a great deal. I hope this information has been helpful.