S. August Abbott
S. August Abbott, BusinessOwner, Buy/Sell/Appraise
Experience:  Buy & Sell Antiques, Collectibles for more than 30 years

I have an old copper one cent coin dated 1818. I just wanted

I have an old copper one cent coin dated 1818. I just wanted to know if it is worth anything.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  S. August Abbott replied 4 years ago.
-- When I started collecting coins as a kid, a retired U S Colonel who had a phenomenal world-wide collection would respond to me when I handed him a Mercury dime I thought was rare with "Do you know how much this is worth?" - anxious and holding my breath, hoping for enough to buy out the candy store, I'd shake my head no and he'd say, "It's worth ten cents!". Then he'd laugh hysterically.

I never seemed to learn

--- So I won't tell you that yes, your one cent coin is worth something: One penny!

Actually, the very least you should expect for it is around $12-15 in basic 'good' shape.

--- But if you're lucky enough to have it in "very fine" condition, you might expect a value closer to $60.

--- If, by any chance it's 'extra/extremely fine' or MS grade, the value elevates to between $125 to $250.

To gauge your coin against the Sheldon Scale of grading and find out what encompasses each grade go here:

Not a bad investment on a penny no matter which grade it is