Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

the value of a .december 7 1941 first extra newspaper from

Customer Question

the value of a .december 7 1941 first extra newspaper from honolulu,hawaii about the bombing of pearl harbor and manila......printed honolulu star-bulletin
Category: Antiques
Expert:  TOPHATSELLS replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for writing your Question to Just Answer!

[As a Certified Appraiser, I shall research your question and conduct any online appraisal in accordance with the professional ethics and guidelines of the Certified Appraisers Guild of America. Obviously, this online appraisal and/or answer to your antique/appraisal questions is limited to the information as supplied and/or representations of, the inquiry. Online Appraisals are thus limited in such scope and it is always advised to obtain a Certified Appraisal document from a Certified Appraiser that can actually personally examine the object(s), especially if such document may be used for bankruptcy, insurance, probate, divorce proceedings, or other situations where an appraiser may need to comment on / authenticate the Certified Appraisal in a court of law.]

From your submittal, I believe you have a nice item. I buy and sell similar through my Antiques Gallery. After researching recent sales data, comparables, and having knowledge of today's marketplace, depending on condition, regional differences, rarity, etc., I would place a Fair Market Value in the range of : $ 50 OR LESS IS WHAT THEY CURRENTLY SELL FOR. (AS DO MOST NEWSPAPERS OF HISTORIC EVENTS...)

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Michael G.

C.A.G.A.

Certified Appraisers Guild of America

{P.S. - Please be so kind as to click the "ACCEPT" Button - NO additional cost to you!...as it allows Just Answer to share some of the appraisal fee with me, the Appraiser, to compensate me for my time and efforts...THANK YOU.}

Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

There were about 250,000 newspapers originally printed. There were actually 3 editions printed that day and there have been reprints since then.

There are 'authentic reprints' from the time period. For instance, that following Sunday paper was actually a reprint of the Saturday paper, and the back pages are almost identical to the Saturday edition. If it says 'Dec. 7, 1941,' at the top of the inside pages, then it's a reprint.

Also, on most original copies, there was a bit of an ink smudge between the "A" and "R" in the word "WAR".

The reprints are valued around $25 to $50.

If you have an original first print, they are valued in the range of $2000 to $3000.

Here's a copy of an auction where it an original paper sold for $2500. You can also see the ink smudge in the picture.

graphic

You definitely want to make sure you have an original because they have the potential for a very high value.
.
Pricing will depend on your condition and where you try to sell it. What you really need for something like this is either a private sale or an auction house, such as heritage auctions or cowans. Both of these auction houses deal with vintage and antique historical memorabilia and very highly respected. They do both consignments and auctions, so you can look into a few different routes to take.
.
If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. If there is a problem with my answer, please contact me before leaving any neutral or negative feedback. I want to make sure you're satisfied.

Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA. If you're happy with my answer, make sure you click the accept by my answer.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Diana