Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.

how do you tell the difference between brass and gold?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Personal Property Appraiser specializing in Fine Art & Antiques and I am here to help! Brass is a combination of a yellowish alloy mixture of Copper and zinc and small amounts of other metals and will tarnish and oxidize because of the copper content and is not considered a precious metal and is very

Gold on the other hand is a precious metal and is what we base our currency value on and the more money Obama prints the higher the metal goes up in value to back it. Pure gold does not tarnish and has a richer yellow brighter look than brass and here is the big difference it is worth currently $1616.60 an ounce . You will not find many things made of it and what you do find is generally marked with a content stamp suck as 14k.

Alan C. Ransdell, AOA AM, CA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I found a pendant and have never seen anything like it before. The appraiser I asked on here wasn't sure either. She suggested I have it tested. She also said it looks very old, thinks the writing on it may be Hebrew, and could have significance. I live a good distance away from the city & was hoping to get an idea if it's gold, part gold, or something like brass before I make the trip there to check it out.

Can something contain gold and brass, or gold and something else, etc.?

no nothing will contain Brass and gold and if its Hebrew it is probably going to be gold and worth checking out and worth the trip during the world war 2 somethings did not get marked what gold content they were good luck.

Alan C. Ransdell, AOA AM, CA