Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Have a silver serving set from Gorham YC 1332 and imprinted

Have a silver serving set from Gorham YC 1332 and imprinted symbols. Right now it is an ornately carved creamer & sugar with lid.
It is from the 1800's I believe. I'm wondering its worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Just to make sure.... you just have the creamer and sugar? No other pieces?

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have many other pieces. Large platter (manor-type size & very heavy) coffee pots, serving dishes, tea pot ans creamer & sugar (other than this one described above, two three-candle holders and serving platters.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Are they all the same pattern? If not, what are the marks on them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did U receive my response? Reed & Barton 1795c Hand Chisel Winthrop?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
I didn't get your first response, but I got that one. You have a sugar/creamer by Gorham and everything else is Reed/Barton 1795. I got it.

Let me check my records and I'll be right back with some values for you.

~Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The platter is Reed & Barton but with 1796 and 25 under that. It is 29-1/2" handle to handle and 21" from the widest part to widest part. Candle sticks are Webster Wilcox (D and an encased S) International Silver Co. SORRY more complicated than I thought!!
Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.

There's no need to apologize. It's more than okay. We’ll get it. =)

.

Your Gorham Y1332 Sugar and Creamer set is actually a Chantilly pattern. It’s a silver plate set, not sterling, but it was first issued in the 1800s. The pattern was actually first introduced around 1890. Based on my records, a sugar and creamer set has a current market value in the range of $60 to $75.

.

Reed and Barton’s Winthrop pattern is also a silverplate set. It was produced from 1895 to about 1980. I’m going to give you a current market value (replacement cost) breakdown of the common pieces in your sets.

.

Large platter (most likely a waiter tray) - $475 to $525

coffee pots - $125 to $150

tea pot - $300 to $350

creamer -$85 to $110

sugar - $75 to $90

.

Your International Silver (Webster/Wilcox) Candle holders have a current market value in the range of $185 to $225 for each one.

.

I think I got it all, but if I missed anything, just let me know and I'll be glad to get it straightened out.

.

If you are thinking about selling your set, sometimes individual pieces, such as plates will go higher if they're sold individually. Most people already have part of a set and might just be looking to replace a single piece or add to their collection. It's possible you might get a higher figure than the set replacement value by breaking it up and selling it.
.
Prices will vary a bit depending on the condition of your pieces and where you try to it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales do tend to go for less.
.
Craigslist is a worthy shot because it's free. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternatives to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers.

.

http://www.bonanza.com and http://www.artfire.com are pretty good up and coming online sites.
.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
.
If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.
.
Thanks and have a great night,
Diana

Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.