Ask C&A Appraisals (Randi) Your Own Q...

C&A Appraisals (Randi)
C&A Appraisals (Randi), Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  ISA Certified fully accredited USPAP. 30+years experience. Speaker, TV, Radio, Newspaper Featured.

i have an original charles m. russell oil painting called anticipation/exasperation

i have an original charles m. russell oil painting called anticipation/exasperation with a letter of authenticity written by fredrick renner. i was wondering its worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  C&A Appraisals (Randi) replied 2 years ago.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Tell me exactly what the letter says and if it is hand signed by Renner. He was considered to be the foremost authority on Remington and wrote a number of books on Remington. If you have an authentic letter and an authentic Remington you must know that it is worth a significant amount.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Before I can help you further I need to know if you want the value for insurance or for resale. My best, Randi

Customer:

the letter says:

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

I'm here and waiting for you to have time to type it all in, will be right back.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

I'm here. Also what is the size of the painting.

Customer:

i have personally examined the pair of rare and highly unusual charles m. russell painting titled anticipation and exasperation currently owned by m. knoedler & co. in forty years of searching, i have come across only four such erotic examples of russells art. i am reminded of lord chesterton's comment on this subject- "the pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculious, and the cost ruinous"- as the cowboy is likely to find if his horse gets away and leaves him afoot in the prairie.

Customer:

although the paintings are not signed, in my judgment, there is no question whatever but that they were executed by charles m. russell

Customer:

sincerely XXXXX XXXXX renner f.g. renner

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Sorry about the Remington reference, I have it on the brain as I am doing a formal appraisal on several Remington sculptures. What I meant to say is that Frederick G. Renner (1897-1987) was the leading authority on Russel and Remington. His folks were friends of Russel and he grew up around the artist's studio.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Ok, is the letter typed or handwritten? If typed is it hand signed?

Customer:

it is typed and hand signed

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Wonderful!

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Are you wanting to sell or insure?

Customer:

sell

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

How did you come into possession of the paintings?

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

The history of ownership can be hugely important, it's history, if known is called "Provenance".

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Are there one or two?

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

The letter notes a pair

Customer:

my grandpas belongings. he passed last year

Customer:

and there is two

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Ok, did he ever talk about the paintings

Customer:

one hidden under the first

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Wow!

Customer:

never

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

What sizes?

Customer:

i think 11x18

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Ok,

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Since authenticated paintings of C.M. Russel sell in the hundreds of thousands to several million dollars, you should first have it authenticated by known and respected appraisers of C.M. Russell

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Here is a link for you to contact:

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

http://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pages/artists/russell.php

Customer:

thank you very much for your help

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

You can also contact Sotheby's or Heritage Auction houses. Both would LOVE to do the follow up on this and sell them for you.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

But just for your own protection, I would have them authenticated first, it will cost you some money, but is WELL worth it. And this firm could also consult and advise you on the best way to sell.

Customer:

do you know around how much that could cost

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

You are most welcome. How exciting! Good luck and be very careful about letting these out of your hands and your control. If they are authentic, you may also want to consult with an accountant and a lawyer.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Different appraisers ask different fees, you will have to ask, but personally, I would send them the information and photos and if they want to see the paintings in person thinking they are definitely authentic, you may want to bring them out to you and keep the paintings in a safety deposit box. They will be of very significant value.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

You will want to take every precaution in protecting them.

Customer:

by what i have said, what is your opinion on it? and the paper from renner says it is an authenticacity

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

You would have to pay the appraiser's expenses.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

If the letter is authentic, and it sounds like it is, you can have no better authority's opinion as to the painting's authenticity. What needs to be done is have an expert on hand writing compare the signature of Renner against his known signatures. Brian Kathenas, (let me check to see if I have his name spelled right, is an authority on autographs, that may be the first place to start. if the signature is authentic, your paintings are authentic.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

I know him personally and he is very honest and hugely respected. Here is the link and tell him that Randeen sent you to him.

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

http://www.nacvalue.com/kathenes.html

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

If you have any other questions, please let me know, It was a pleasure assisting you on this wonderful find. My best, Randi

C&A Appraisals (Randi :

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Accepting does not cost you any additional money, it just credits the experts so they get paid for their expertise, time, and research.. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also.

Experience: ISA Certified fully accredited USPAP. 30+years experience. Speaker, TV, Radio, Newspaper Featured.