Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have 12 piece place setting of Johann Haviland Bavaria china,

I have 12 piece place setting of Johann Haviland Bavaria china, blue garland pattern still in original boxes. Also, beverage server, salt and pepper, creamer, sugar, soup bowls (4), vegetable bowl, casserole, dessert plates, gravy boat and platter. All in original boxes. Wondering what it may be worth? Also, ideas of where to sell. thanks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I can give you the current market replacement values. The set was discontinued in 1990 and was in production for about 20 years. Based on my records and guides, your Haviland Blue Garland set has a current market replacement value (cost replacement) in the range of $900 to $1100 for a service for 12 with your extras. This is the cost replacement (retail) value. Generally you can expect to take around 30% off for secondary market resale. So, this should give you an idea of actual value and possible selling prices to negotiate with.

Sometimes individual pieces, such as plates will go higher if they're sold individually. Most people already have part of a set and might just be looking to replace a single piece or add to their collection. It's possible you might get a higher figure than the set replacement value by breaking it up and selling it.

Prices will vary a bit depending on the condition of your pieces and where you try to it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales do tend to go for less.

If you decide to try and sell it elsewehere, craigslist is a worthy shot because it's free. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay. http://www.bonanza.com and http://www.artfire.com are pretty good up and coming online sites.

You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Diana