Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

Ken Farmer-Appraisal of 1890 National Cash Register with OAK

Ken Farmer-Appraisal of 1890 National Cash Register with OAK case. Excellent condition. Pictures available.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  S. August Abbott replied 3 years ago.

--Where on the web are you looking? Not all of the sites are terribly accurate or even well informed. Some are excellent though, so I'm curious about where you're looking.

--

Do you have the id numbers/letters available? Those mean everything when it comes to valuing.

And if you have a pic handy, that would be great.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

#1. Originally I heard from 2 cash reg. collectors/appraisers One told me est. $3,000. This is a moot question I feel as your evaluation should not be influenced by others.

#2. As the pictures will show I have full documentation, inspection labels on bottom of drawer, and brass tag with serial # XXXXX paper label with Register # XXXXX and NCR president Patterson signature. Pictures will follow.

Sadly the 'marquee', (brass plate that sits at top of number gallery), is missing, but a replacement is available.

-- My estimation is never (ever) effected by any others, which keeps me honest and rather a renegade when I need to be.

Most clients like to know what I know about the sources they're seeing and as an independent consumer advocate, I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks for additional information. I'm going to opt out of this and let someone else help you when you get the photos.

Sounds like a very nice find though - I love seeing these restored and in actual use in various shops all over the country. They were built to last and last they are!

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am anxious to send photos but am unable to send them thru this reply box!! Please send me an e-mail address to send photos to. Thank you!! bill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My father is trying to send pictures of his cash register to you. This 'answer' box has a tool bar but there is no 'tree' icon but it has a paperclip icon allowing us to attach JPG files. He is using Windows 7 which requires the use of Thunderbird e-mail program. He is using Internet Explorer to surf the internet. I have attached one of the 13 pictures he has of the cash register, I can't figure out how to attach more than one picture to a 'reply'. Hopeully this will satisfy your needs, he can scan or mail pictures to you if need. Thank you.graphic
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am pleased to assist you. Based on a review of current recorded and documented sales of similar items in the past year and your description, the current market value is estimated to be from $4,500 to $5,000 at present. Ken is a well known Virginia auctioneer as I recall and knows his region well....

Hope this helps! Best, Will

--

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button if my answer has helped you in any way so I can be credited by Just Answer staff for assisting you...no additional charge to you! Thanks!

Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience: 30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have no choice but to accept your answer, and I feel it is a satisfactory one!! It is better than the one I got earlier!!! What is YOUR background to be qualified to give me a qualified appraisal?? Your alluding to 'Ken', I suppose Farmer, I am sure he is competent, but he knows nothing of this request. He was on ARS last Monday, evaluating a brass NCR, so I used his name, hoping to get his evaluation because he is the only name I know for appraisinng cash registers. I am not being snippy, but when responding to a new inquiryl, you should state your expertise because I don't know you from Adam. At that I still must take your word for what you tell me!! You could be giving me a higher appraisal than I mentioned earlier, (my error), just to make me happy!! However $30.00 is not going to make or break anyone!!!! bill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe I failed to rate you answer!!! If so I would like to for you deserve good ratings. I was served by three experts so I don't know who will get the credit!! bill