Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

This picture has been hanging on the wall since 1952. It is

This picture has been hanging on the wall since 1952. It is called "Rustic Mill" and is signed by Westal. There is a number on the back. V2462-551NP 1319
Can you help?
Sherry
[email protected]
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Great House Antiques replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Please tell me what the dimensions of the painting are, whether it is an oil or watercolor, what some of the details of the scene are, and describe its condition.

Thank you.

Chase

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning,

The picture is approx. 25x60" without the frame. I don't know if it is water or oil. I'm not very good at art. It was left to me when she passed. It has a metal tag on the front that says "RUSTIC MILL" and then Westal. Other than that I know nothing. I would appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thank you

Sherry

Thank you.

The artist, known as "Westal," was a Walter E. Brightwell (1919-2005). He painted lots of country scenes such as that you describe (usually in oil) in the approximate dimensions you stated your piece to have. The works are often large like yours and pleasing to the eye. In terms of value, they are in a fairly moderate range for their scale. In a retail setting, in today's market, your piece in excellent condition would have an estimated value of $800-$1,200.

(Hoping the answer has provided assistance, please click ACCEPT. This simply prompts JA to extend compensation for my service. There is NO additional charge for doing so.)

Thank you, again.

Chase