JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02-
JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02-, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  I have researched antiques and collectibles for 30 years
38030367

I have a picture of 3 horses in a storm.Id like some history

I have a picture of 3 horses in a storm.
I'd like some history of the picture and the possible value.
I'm including a photo of the picture along with a seperate photo of the artist signature.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-yf84hu02- replied 5 years ago.
Can you send the photo of the artist's signature? If I can tell who the artist is, we will be able to provide some information for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes i have a photo of the signature, not sure how to send?
You should be able to load it as you did the photo of the painting. Have you been able to read the signature? If so I can do research according to the name of this artist.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
It appears to read M Jordi or M Joadi. There are no listed artists by that name. It is a well done surrealist approach to horses, a fallen man and a coming storm. It is contemporary in the style of Salvidor Dali and an artist named Pedrova. It is very well executed and obviously by a trained artist's hand. Most likely painted in the mid to late 20th century with acrylics or oil paints. Works that are not by a listed artist are considered decorative and judged according to skill, size, and subject matter. For this painting a reasonable fair market value would be $2800-$3500. Insurance values are always higher in order to protect one of a kind items. Insurance value for this painting would be $4800.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would have to say I'm surprized it would be worth that much when the artist is unknown??

How do you go about selling this type of item, and getting anywhere near that kind of money?

There are a wide variety of ways to sell as I am sure you realize. Auction provides rapid return without seller protection. Galleries such as Skinners, Bonhams, Kaminski, Butterfield's have all shown success with surrealism. Consignment to the proper fine art gallery is also an option. Unfortunately commissions are usually 40-50%. Ultimately the definition of value is the final price agreed upon by a buyer and a seller. Here a a few that might help.

http://www.art4sale.com/consign/about.html

www.austingalleries.com/