Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have an Antonio DeVity painting. The painting itself is

I have an Antonio DeVity painting. The painting itself is 48"x24" and is framed. Not sure what scene it is, I have pictures though.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.

Let me take and see what I can come with. It's late here, so it might be tomorrow before I get back with you.

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No prob. Thanks
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Smile
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
I have another question that came up last as I was looking further into to . There were actually 2 different DeVity's --- a father and son.

Do you have a picture of the signature? Where there any stamps or labels on the back of the painting?

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
A father and son and they both painted landscapes scenes---city, harbors, etc. The father lived / worked in Naples, Rome and even Paris. The son works out of his own studio in Naples and has had dozens of students and fellow artists that have studied under him. The stamp on the back is the studio stamp. The DeVity studio stamp was used first to stamp the backs of his oil-on-tile works and was then later used to stamp the backs of the studio paintings of both father and son. The signature is closest to the son's signature.

Based on comparisons of the same size and type of scenery, it should estimate in the range of $500 to $800.

Here's the potential bad news and I feel it would be wrong of me not to warn you. The stamp on yours is a the Type 3 stamp that was used by the studio staring in the early 1950s. The problem with that particular style stamp is that it was heavily forged by chinese companies during the 1970s. This was the height of the studios popularity and certain markets found it easy to get on the bandwagon so to speak. They sold in quite a few galleries and shops. They often have an ink-stamped style number and reorder number on the canvas stretchers or frame, but not always. It can be extremely hard to tell the difference in the art work. They often sell in the range of $250 to $350.

Your stamp looks very well done. I don't see any of the usual errors you find in forgeries, so I am honestly hesitant to say that you have a "chinese version". It's the right shape, the words line up, the color is right...etc.

To me, based on what I can see so far and in my opinion (which is just that) is does seem real. I just to be fair and makes sure you were aware. =)

If you're interested in selling it and want to avoid common sites like Ebay, I would contact local art galleries, local auction houses, and even antique shops. You'd be surprised at the art that comes out of antique stores. You might also consider one of the online art sites.

Art brokerage

Art Broker

If you go with an auction house, make sure you get an estimate and ask about whether or not they do reserves.

If I can be of any further help or you just need more information, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm more than happy to answer any more questions. Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Diana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You. I believe that my painting is earlier then the 70's due to the type of frame it's in.
Hopefully I'm right Laughing.

Thanks again, you've been great.

Elaine
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Elaine.

I'm glad I could help. I believe it is too. Based on the mark (and if it's real and it sure looks like it), I would place it around when they started using that stamp, which would be about 1950 to 1955.

It's great working with you.

Thank you for bonus and Good Luck with it!!!

~Diana