Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

antique Heinrich & Co. SELB Bavaria porcelain China

Customer Question

I have a set of antique Heinrich & Co. SELB Bavaria porcelain China (I'm 64, ate off them as very young child, they had "been around a quite a while" even then!). 10 dinner plates, 12 B & B plates, 12 sm. bowls, 11 cups & saucers, sugar & creamer, lg. oval platter, lg.oval serving bowl, sm serving dish. Design - delicate connected black rectangles bordered each side by gold--this trim rims edge of dishes. gold trim also on all handles. I may have seen one sm. chip on something as I was putting them away, but not positive. I was astounded when I looked the marking up and saw the price of dishes such as these, but couldn't find this pattern of course. It is lovely...the dishes are white. Is it better to try and advertise something like this on your own, or sell it to, or through a dealer?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.

My name is Alan and I am a Personal Property Appraiser specializing in Fine Art & Antiques and I am here to help! Its better to sell these at auction can you tell me what city and state you live in so I can see if I can find someone for you thanks, Alan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually Alan, while I appreciate your timely response, I am capable of doing some yellow page "finger walking" to locate appraisers and through them, reputable auction houses where I may take this set of China. So while you have offered your response, it was nothing that I'm not already aware of/haven't already taken into consideration on my own. However, I thank you for your time.

Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
I am not entirely sure exactly what you are asking, but I can tell you not to expect to get prices you see on sites like Replacements.com -- honestly, you will not. Firms selling vintage china patterns have a markup from what they pay of over 400% at least....I think what Alan was trying to do was to locate a CREDIBLE appraiser or auction venue near you, meaning to verify the person or firm to tell you who you could trust, rather than you rolling the dice in the phone book....please advise exactly what you need and if I can assist, I will be very glad to...Best, Will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Perhaps I can explain what I meant to ask, and maybe I expected too much reading between the lines from Alan. I was perhaps overly hopeful that an antique expert would offer me some specific, interesting information on Heinrich & Co. SELB Bavaria...and that was one of my expectations. All I know is that they are beautiful, nearly flawless, thus my inquiry as to the best way to selling them ....but I didn't expect such a brief response. Can you understand my disappointment at not receiving even a small bit of information other than about an appraiser? Surely if you are experts then you have something more you can tell me about these dishes/this company/it's history/.....something??? I live near Johnson City TN by the way, and so would also greatly appreciate the name of a credible appraiser/firm or auction venue near me to advise me as to the best action to take. Thank you Will!
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem, but please understand we are retained to answer specific questions and do not have a clue about what you already know unless you tell us. I can't begin to tell you how many times out of over 4,000 appraisals I have done just this year on this site that folks sort of yell at me saying "I already knew that" when I tried to give company background. This is not the easiest task to do without being able to see the things in person, I assure you. So now, with that clear, tell me what you already do know about the company and I will gladly do my best to fill in the rest...and please tell me exactly what you want to know, because initially you asked "Is it better to try and advertise something like this on your own, or sell it to, or through a dealer? " So Alan was doing as he has been instructed to do...and honestly was trying to answer you. But not a problem, just get me into the crystal clear range and I will gladly help you--that is what we are here for. Best, Will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will, I just went to Alan's individual site, and there was a "question" from Holly about her Grandmother's China. Alan certainly gave her a detailed answer. I realize she asked a better worded question than I, but in those two exchanges between them, they accomplished about what I had hoped to do. And, it appeared to be a recent exchange, and I am curious why her's cost about half the cost of this one? THAT, is a clearly worded question, and I believe that the one before it is "inferred". I'm sorry that so much time passed, but I had visitors, and I have a committment soon. Thanks.