Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have a silverware set over 50 years old it is from Italy,

I have a silverware set over 50 years old it is from Italy, marked 800, it is a complete set very very heavy, how much it could be worth and is 800 a good silver?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Are there any other marks on this set?

Glenda

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are some letters in front of the numbers but I can't reed them.

the set consists of: 24 spoons, 24 forks, 24 knives, 2 serving spoons, 1 serving fork, 12 coffee spoons, total weight is in pounds, very heavy.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
It is marked Sterling or .925 anywhere on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is marked 800 it would'n say sterling it comes from Italy if anything it would say argento 800, I just read 800 and small letters
Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
800 is the Italian silver purity. It's not the highest quality, but it's good.

The very small letters are very likely your makers marks. Do you think you can try to read them with a magnifying glass?

Thanks,
~Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all pieces are marked ARG.800

ARGENTO means Silver in Italian, This set comes from the provence of Alessandria

near Valenza, the city of gold in Italy

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,

Without a definite maker's mark, you're still dealing with more or less an unknown set, even if you know the region it came from. ARG 800 is different than just 800. Arg is not a region, it's purity indicator. Arg 800 in Italian silver means the silver is plated, not sterling.

Based on my records of listings and sales, for the amount of pieces you have, an ARG 800 marked without a maker is typically valued at $300 to $400.

If you are thinking about selling them, keep in mind that prices will vary a bit depending on the condition of your pieces and where you try to it. Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for far less than value.

If I can be of any further help or you just need more information, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm more than happy to answer any more questions. Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Diana
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.