Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

I have an 1878 Saignelegier Fondeur bell, 3 high, 1-1/4 diameter,

Customer Question

I have an 1878 Saignelegier Fondeur bell, 3" high, 1-1/4 diameter, brass cow bell. I understand that the originally swiss foundry was American patented in October, 1899. Is there any value in this bell? Thanks for your input.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is Will and I am pleased to assist you. Could you provide an image for review?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I am not familiar with sending pictures over the internet. The bell has a cross on each side of the date; two half fans sitting on circles at the bottom, and seven embossed 'what looks like' starburst around the top. This bell is in excellant condition and has a beautiful tone. If you are unable to help, thank you anyway.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Not a major problem...there are many of them in compiled databases, and even on eBay...

Based upon a review of information you provided and published completed sales data for similar items, the current market retail replacement value for your is estimated to range from $45 to $95 based on overall condition and regional market demand. They can often be found on eBay for under $30 as well. Hope this information helps and thanks for using JustAnswer!

***

If my information has been of assistance to you, please remember to click the ACCEPT icon so I will be credited by JustAnswer for my time and efforts (at no additional charge to you). Thanks!

=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-SAIGNELEGIER-CHIANTEL-FONDEUR-SWISS-BRASS-COW-BELL-/260837879620

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want information/history. This information can be had on the internet. Does Switzerland still make this "Genuine Swiss Cow Bell" or did it cease to exist when an American patent was granted in October, 1899. This bell was advertised in catalogs from 1900 to 1915 and was probably of local origin. This particular bell was made in several sizes. (This information was published in the US by Wallace.Homestead Book, Co., Des Moines, Iowa. Copyright 1971 Dorothy Malone Anthony in her book "The World of Bells". A picture of this bell under "Belling the Animals "Row 3 #3. The local library has this book. Thanks so far.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what you are asking for, exactly...the items are very common, come in a wide array of styles and patterns and still in production today, many types bearing the original patent impressions...they are only inexpensive decorator grade items, not meant to hang on cows at all at this point in time...without physically seeing yours, I cannot tell from an image if you have an original or modern example that has been exposed to the elements for a few years....