Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA

I Cafieri Painting

I have an I Cafieri painting, most of the time I've seen them in areas like asian sweatshops. This painting seems different than most of the paintings I've seen by the same artist. It's approximatly 24"x48" and originally $365.00 but sold for $185 in the 1960's, most of the paintings I have seen are of things like people or houses. This a really beautiful forest scene, and I keep waiting for deer to walk in  or fish to jump in the back area....I'm going to try to add a picture, but ....
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Gosh this is a beautiful large "Irene Cafieri" work. Well framed too. The 20th century "artist" does sell at auctions as they are nice to look at but they regularly sell for £20 - £40 depending on the size...well under what you would expect of a nice piece of art.

This is because the artist name was a front for a Hong Kong company that mass produced these works. They employed local artists in an assembly line set up to repeat the same type of painting over and over. There is no real I. Cafieri or Irene Cafieri but the signature added an authenticity to the mass produced art which was sold by dealers for decorative purposes.

Yours is very large and in good condition thus the value would be on the high end..maybe even £60-£80 but to the collector of fine art the value would be modest. To the person who likes to work and finds it pretty it makes no difference.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press "accept" as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you.