Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I have four Tyrus Wong watercolors depicting the nativity in

Customer Question

I have four Tyrus Wong watercolors depicting the nativity in four seasons. I cannot find anything on line about them. There is a barely ligible gallery mark on the back of one of them
Noonan and Kocian. They are framed and matted. They are gorgeous. Just don't know anything about them nor can I find any info on them.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.

Hi! My name is Will and I am pleased to assist you. Based on a review of current recorded and documented sales of similar items in the past year and your description, the current market value is estimated to be from $200 to $600 each depending on demand. The artist is listed on both and at present and some of the works have exceeded $2,000 but not in the Nativity series.

Hope this helps! Best, Will

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button if my answer has helped you in any way so I can be credited by Just Answer staff for assisting additional charge to you! Thanks!

This Chinese-born artist is a painter, lithographer, and designer who studied at
Otis Art Institute. A production illustrator in the film industry, Wong has
worked for such studios as Disney and Warner Bros. He was also one of the first
fine artists to apply his talent to the designing of Christmas

Tyrus Wong and his father immigrated to the United States from
China when he was 9 years old. When he attended Benjamin Franklin Junior High in
Pasadena, his teachers noticed Wong's artistic ability and arranged for a summer
scholarship at the Otis Art Institute. Wong was hooked and decided to leave
junior high for a full time studentship at Otis. Since his family was poor, he
worked as a janitor at this school and walked for miles just to attend classes.
It paid off as Tyrus Wong had a lucrative career as an artist in Hollywood.

He has done everything from working as a greeting card designer to
Warner Brothers film production illustrator (1942-1968), from drawing set
designs and storyboard for several movies to being a Disney inspirational sketch
artist (1938-1941). It was his lush pastels that served as inspiration for Bambi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Will,
I knew all the info you provided about the artist. I would like more information about the artwork itself. Can you help?
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
The pieces are referenced but not noted individually in any database...I checked all three major guides for you and there is nothing more -- since no complete listing exists for this artist, you will not likely find out much more than the databases show...and the range is pretty much a lock for any work by the individual.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm hoping that someone has a little more info on Tyrus Wong's watercolors, specifically the ones I have. I'm very surprised that you don't have more resources than just what's available on line. There are several blogs with questions around his work because there's so much
obscurity around his collections. I would think one of your experts would have a little more
expertise on our country's most prolific Chinese American artist because of this fact.