Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

price of one penny 1896

price of one penny 1896
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Is it a US penny or a British penny?

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is a British penny . On the back is head of Queen Victoria.and on other side is a warrior with a spear and helmet.It saysVictoria deigra brit regina fid defindimp penny 1896. more yet to come Thanks
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!

That penny with the soldier is the bronze penny from 1896. There were about 25,000,000 minted. It's valued at $1 to $60 depending on the grade and condition. If you have a proof coin (which are completely uncirculated), it's worth about $900.

You may want to have it graded and authenticated by someone with: http://www.pcgs.com/dealers/

As for selling it, you can try online, but I don't think you will get the same value if you sold them privately. Start with local dealers. Jewelry shops often deal with coins, so you can start there. A lot of towns have coin dealers. Other than that, amazon and etsy (aside from Ebay) are actually pretty great sources to sell coins.

If I can be of any further help or you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept (at no further cost to you) if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and I hope you have a great day.
Diana

More to come? You must have been a coin collector. If you'd like to request me on any of your other items, I'll be more than willing to help. I never turn down a good hunt. =) If you'd like to request me, you can just put "DianaF" in your question and that will make sure it gets to me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dIANA/F Thans again I have still several coins to do. Can you find out the best dealer to go to in Glagow or Ayr in Scotland.yYours Truly XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Anytime.

I have tons of coin books and site, so I can usually manage to track them down. =)

Let me check and I'll put together some sources for you.

~Diana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Diana/f Thanks again This time one penny 1891head of warriorononeside Queen Victoria on other Britania fd Victoriadc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Diana/f Thanks again This time one penny 1891head of warrior on one side Queen Victoria on other Britt REG FD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Diana/f Thanks again This time one penny 1891head of warrior on one side Queen Victoria on other Britt REG FD THIS IS ALL INFORMATOIN
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Got it. Lemme take a look. =)

~Diana
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
That penny is the bronze penny from 1891. There were about 18,000,000 minted. It should weight 8.8g. It's valued at $3 to $175 depending on the grade and condition. If you have a proof coin, it's worth about $850.

I did find some dealers in the Glasgow area. The list isn't too big. There are a few little shops, but go-to's seem to be:

A.D. Hamilton & Co.
7 St. Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2DW
Tel: 0141-221-5423 Fax: 0141-248-6019
e-mail:[email protected]

Argyll Coins & Antiques
73 Robertson Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, G2 8QD
Tel: 0141(NNN) NNN-NNNN

This might possibly be a bit out of your area, but:

Edinburgh Coin Shop
11, West Crosscauseway, Edinburgh, EH8 9JW
Tel: 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN& 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNNFax: 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
The majority of the higher-end shops are in the London area, but I didn't figure you wanted to travel that far. =)

Thanks and I hope you have a great day.
Diana