Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Dining Room Table & Chairs

I have a dining room table and 6 chairs (1 captain). The table has a Chittenden & Eastman Co, Burlington, Iowa, "Square Brand" label. The table has 2 3-legged which flair out with brass claws on the ends. The chairs seats have an embroidered red floral pattern. It's in pretty good shape, though there are a couple scratches on the table top and the chairs and base show some wear. Any idea how old and a rough value? Thanks. Jeff
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer

This Duncan Phyfe Style dining room table and chairs circa: 1940 is currently valued on the retail market for an average of 750.00-800.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. The Chittenden & Eastman traces its history back to H. Bailey & Company, a jobbing and retail furniture business that began in 1866 in a three-story brick building on Washington Street. That company became G.M. Todd & Company when Bailey returned to dentistry and his partner took over the company. In 1873 it became Todd, Pollock & Granger and construction began on a new building on Third Street. H.W. Chittenden started at the company as a traveling salesman in 1875 and took over Todd's place in the company when Todd retired in 1877.

The company was then known as Pollock, Granger and Chittenden until 1881 when Pollock left the company and it became Granger & Chittenden. Granger died in 1882 leaving Chittenden to run the business alone for several months. At that time the business filled two buildings totally 46,800 square feet at Third and Market. On January 1 of 1883, E.P. Eastman, the company's bookkeeper and salesman since 1877, joined with Chittenden. They went by Chittenden & Eastman. By 1896 the company had four large buildings located on Third Street that covered nearly 3 acres. On July 1, 1899 the business incorporated as Chittenden & Eastman Company.

They manufactured the Square Brand product from about 1890 to the early 1970s. In 1972 the firm moved to a new facility on Division just west of Roosevelt. The firm later became Eastman House. After 139 years in Burlington, the company is preparing to leave town in 2005.

According to the 1915 History of Des Moines County Iowa and Its People, Chittenden & Eastman annually issued "a catalogue of about seven hundred pages, ten by fourteen inches, in which are shown the most complete and best selling lines of goods that can possibly be brought together by men of long experience in manufacturing and buying, with the advantage of ample capital and an enormous outlet for goods." In preparing to leave Burlington, the company donated its collection of catalogs to the library in order to preserve this important piece of Burlington's manufacturing history. List of the catalogs.

There are over 100 catalogs and they are not indexed.

They will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction.

If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. They may sell higher on the west coast, then say in the mid west or the south. So be sure to check your local area. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

If you are thinking of selling a good place to sell is Craigslist, it is a free listing site, you list in your area, the person that buys it picks it up.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me. And if you would like to use me on any further questions.

It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

Look forward to working with you again.

Please click accept if I have been of any help to you, (with no further expense to you)

We are only paid by Just Answer after you click accept. Otherwise we are not

compensated for our time.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Great day.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 years ago.