Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I have acquired a bronze statue signed by sculptor, L.F. Moreau,

I have acquired a bronze statue signed by sculptor, L.F. Moreau, France. It is of a young woman holding a cornucopia in her right arm while the left hand rests on stalks of corn. At her bare feet are shocks of wheat, her dress is free flowing, tie at the waist with the dress neck appearing as if wind were blowing it open.

Any help in identifying its age, purpose, value would be most welcome.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 2 years ago.

L&F Moreau were two brothers who were part of the Moreau dynasty of sculptors from Dijon France in the 19th century. L&F Moreau were perhaps best known for creating highly ornate clocks and garniture sets in both bronze and spelter. The L stands for Louis Auguste (1855-1919), known for bronzes and metal sculptures. The F stands for Hippolyte Francois (1857-1930), a painter and sculptor. Both of these men were each well-known artists and today are listed in the various important art guides (Davenports, Who's Who, etc.) and their work commands high prices and they have exceptional auction records -- their bronzes commonly bring upwards of $5,000.

Their L&F Moreau studio was their business partnership which produced spelter copies of both of their bronze sculptures (spelter is a bronze-like Pot metal that is lighter weight than bronze and made primarily from zinc). It's important to note that L&F Moreau also individually produced bronze and spelter pieces and signed them Auguste and Hippolyte ... but those signed with L&F Moreau marks were produced by this partnership studio.

===

Last recorded sale: "Nymph with Cupid"; 40.39" (102.60cm); inscribed; 8/20/2011;

Price realized: $6,820.00

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the research however, much of it I had found on the internet. My most important question is: What is the name and date of the piece? It was indicated that it could have been cast for an agriculture event but when and who and is it as valuable as the other work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is your research continuing? Have not had an update in almost 48 hrs. Please let me know how the project is progressing. Thank you.

XXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Thank you for the research however, much of it I had found on the internet. My most important question is: What is the name and approximate date of the piece? The owner of the piece (elderly) indicated that it could have been cast for an agriculture event so when and who and is it as valuable as the other work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer. I have left further info and questions but no response from anyone other that the first "expert" with the same information I had found online. I am asking for specific information. If this cannot be provided please cancel my subscription immediately. XXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I continue to wait for answers to my response questions.

This is aggravating that it is taken so long to tell me that no one found additional info or to give me the name of the piece and its value My piece measures 20" high.

If there isn't any response, I am canceling membership.
Expert:  Will replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but I do not think you fully understand how many pieces were produced by this company and since there is no accurate compilation of each individual series, the answer you are seeking would take many, many hours of research and still may not turn up more than the typical price range for an example of the work, which you have had for many days....I opted out in the hopes someone else could better assist you, but in a case such as this there simply is no firm answer to the question posed--other than estimating current market retail value, which you were given.
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience: 30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles