Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

antique silverware

Customer Question

I have several pieces of very old silverware brought from russia during the pogroms. It is stamped J. Fraget varsovie gerlach with double headed eagle and a crown there is no pattern engraved it is very large and very plain. Some pieces are stamped with GALW AND NORBLIN SA i am very interested in selling if they are at all valuable silverware pics
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is Will and I can assist you. Based upon a review of information you provided and published completed sales data for similar items, the current market retail replacement value for your silverware is estimated to range from $3,500 to $5,500 based on overall condition and regional market demand. Work by Fraget is very much in demand by collectors worldwide and even simply made individual pieces can range from $850 to over $1,500 each. Hope this information helps and thanks for using JustAnswer!

***

If my information has been of assistance to you, please remember to click the ACCEPT icon so I will be credited by JustAnswer for my time and efforts (at no additional charge to you). Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
good info but is theer anywhere you can direct me on where to sell it? i knew it was valuable but value is only beneficial if I can also sell it somewhere
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
There is actually a good international following for these items on eBay, but I would recommend that due to the demand that you will likely get far better prices if you advertise them one at a time....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
time period etc. and how i would list I know nothing of the history etc.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

All you need to do is take an image, front, back and of the marking and do the listing under antique silver...buyers know who Fraget was and the related history, I assure you...but if you wish to read more, here is an online link almost as thorough as my reference guides:

-

http://www.silvercollection.it/ASCASFRAGET.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked on ebay and saw several spoons forks etc that look like mine unforunately they were selling for $29.00 each and often the same for lots of 6. Is your information accurate b/c I don't see how when your estimate and actual selling price are very different. Please explain. If my collection is not valuable I do not want to waste my time taking pictures and listing etc. as it is very time consuming. Thank you
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
eBay is NOT the market indicator for items such as this at all....my comps come from legitimate open auction sites and eBay is not exactly that kind of venue...if you see past sales, like those reported on Worthpoint.com or Kovels.com, you will see what I mean. Your call...eBay is a buyer market used by many dealers and dabblers, which is why I suggested you always list with a reserve price...keeps the bottom feeders away from you. The serious buyers will pay your price. Best, Will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Previously you said there is a good intl. following on ebay i looked there at your suggestion, where should I try to sell and what price per piece? Did i misunderstand you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what are some of the open auction sites? also you did not suggest a reserve price.