Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a signed oil painting by T H McKay signed in the lower

I have a signed oil painting by T H McKay signed in the lower right corner. It is a peasant leading a horse and wagon on the seashore with a sunrise in the upper left corner. It is a large painting, at least 40 x 45 in the original frame or so it seems. Have owned it 40 years - was purchased from a dealer in Pasadena,CA - can you give me any idea as to it's worth or appeal today?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Great House Antiques replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Based upon your description, what you likely have is a painting by the Scottish artist Thomas Hope McKay (1870-1930). His works are mostly that of sea seascapes and landscapes that include bodies of water (rivers, lochs, bays, etc.). His work is good and his style of painting is of a realistic yet slightly impressionistic quality. There is a fairly distinct range of prices for his paintings, but given the size of your piece it might exceed the norm by some measure. On average, his oils sell in the range of about $1,000-$2,000. Yours, however, given its larger scale might be more in the vicinity of $3,000 to as much as $4,000/$4,500 in its original (or period) frame and in excellent condition. The appeal of this sort of work is fairly strong (esp. that of American artists) and, again, his in particular would be considered that of good quality. The appeal of your piece in particular would, as with all art, be a more subjective matter.

(Hoping the answer has provided assistance, please click ACCEPT. this simply prompts JA to extend compensation for my service. There is NO additional charge for doing so.)

Thank you, again.

Chase