Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

have signed prints of michael duvall finnell, one is pat day

Customer Question

have signed prints of michael duvall finnell, one is pat day "rides another winner' (1) canvas oil painting (1) Claiborne Farms Swale would like some history of these prints as well as value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is Will and I am pleased to assist you. Based on a review of current recorded and documented sales of similar items in the past year and your description, the current market value is estimated to be from $150 to $300 each.

Hope this helps! Best, Will

-

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

--

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button if my answer has helped you in any way so I can be credited by Just Answer staff for assisting you...no additional charge to you! Thanks!

--

Michael DuVal Finnell was born in Lexington, Kentucky in 1947 and died in 1999
at his home in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Michael grew up in Frankfort, Kentucky
with his twin brother Merritt, also an artist. Michael later moved to Phoenix,
Arizona where he studied art at the Jay Datus Studios. This is where Michael met
his first wife, and soon after marriage they had a son, named Michael DuVal
Finnell Jr., who lives in Arizona.

Michael moved back to Frankfort KY around 1965 and met Nancy, his second wife, whom he was married to for 12 years. They had four children together from oldest to youngest are Adam, Richard, Simon, and Kori. Michael painted portraits of people and still life for many years in and around Frankfort before moving to equine art while living in Lexington.

Michael moved to Hot Springs Arkansas, around 1990 to be closer to his mother, Alice Simcox. Michael lived only minutes away from Oaklawn Race track. He found this to be the place he wold live and paint for the rest of his life.

Michael studied the "Old World" techniques of portrait painting at the Jay Datus Studios. Professionally painting since 1963, his career included doing work for the Saturday Evening Post and portraits of Johnny Mathis, Loretta Lynn, Connie Stevens, Mohammed Ali, and Elvis Presley for Graceland plus many more.

In 1982, while living in Lexington KY., he was asked to paint a horse, and a new career was born. His lists of clients read like the "Who's Who" of Racing. His work has been seen on ESPN, ABC, and CNN, and has been published in Equine Magazines, Equine, Images, Bloodhorse Magazine, Racing programs, and the Franklin Mint. The Franklin Mint commissioned Michael to complete a series of 8 different breeds of horses for a collector edition of plates that have been advertised in 22 countries.

Currently his sons are having prints made of these paintings and will soon be available for the public. The Lipizzar, being the first of eight to be printed. Other
paintings and prints include, but not limited to, The OFFICAL Portrait of Cigar,
Saratoga, Saratoga Rendezvous, Rubiano, Forever Churchill, Breeders Cup, and
Swale with Woody Stephens.

Allen Paulson was, before his death, the world's largest single collector of the artist's work, owning over twenty paintings in the last twelve years. Last commissioning GERI to be painted before the artist died.

Michael Finnell held the distinction of being the only American artist to have painted on location at over 16 major tracks and had worked at all past Breeder's Cups before his death.

He left behind five sons, Michael Jr., Adam, Richard, Simon and Kori who carry his talent and love for art. They paint, draw, and sculpt with the same enthusiasm as their father and you can definitely see his unique art style in each son's work. To this day
his works are displayed all over the world and for sale at several different art
galleries.