Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

Id love to know the value of a silver plated coffee/tea set

I'd love to know the value of a silver plated coffee/tea set made by John Turton, made in Sheffield, England which is hand chased and includes a cream & sugar set, coffee pot, tea pot on swing, slop bowl (someone told me that is what it's called) and large matching tray. The design has 3 chevrons and my mother acquired it in 1955 as a gift. The person who gave it to her purchased it at an Antique Auction House in Hollywood Florida. It's in excellent shape and I'd love to know it's value. Can you help me determine it's value or provide any other info on the designer? Also, is there a market for these now?

Hi! John Turton & Company was a well known silversmith business dealing primarily in silver plate (not sterling) located on Carver Street, Sheffield, England (1922-1960) and later at Kendal Works, Scotland Street, Sheffield (1962). From around 1906 to 1957, the company used this trademark (registered Nov 1905) :

From 1956 until around 1968 this one was used most of the time:

At present, as set as you describe will retail from $275 to $450 depending on condition and regional demand for the pattern. There is not much more history, honestly...just one of hundreds of makers of the era. Hope this helps. Best, Will