Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Domestic sewing machine E6354 (3A260V)

I have a Domestic sewing machine E6354 (3A260V) manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio. Cannot find the date of manufacture, but it belonged to my mother and should be around 100 years old. Any idea of value?
Machine is attached to a sewing cabinet with three drawers.  Machine can be

taken off the cabinet to sell.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Does you machine just say Domestic on it or does it say White anywhere on it?

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says DOMESTIC on my machine.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Domestic machines were first produced as Norwalk, Ohio, and in 1869 the name "Domestic" was established as a brand. In 1924 the Domestic Company was absorbed into the White Sewing Machine Co. So, you're definitely right about the date. Domestic as a brand name was still used well into the mid 1900s. They made many models similar to what Singer was putting out at the time.

Based on my records and what I found, you should be looking at an estimate in the range of about $75 to $125 and $100 to $150 with the cabinet and if it's in good condition. Personally, I would keep it in the cabinet. A lot of collectors are interested in the cabinets, so they like entire sets if they can get them.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I would check with your local antique shops and flea markets first. You can also check sewing/hobby/craft shops. This way you can decide if you want to sell locally or try listing it online. It's always great if you sell locally and not have to deal with shipping.

You might also look into your local craigslist or ebayclassfieds. It's similar to Ebay, but you can list for free and it's not an auction and you can designate a "pick up" only option.

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept (at no further cost to you) if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Diana
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I have the option to ask another question for another item and have it included in the same $40 charge?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Usually, no. We're supposed to do 1 item per 1 question. The experts are actually contracted by JustAnswer and we get a percentage of the $$ charge when a customer clicks the "accept" button.

But, go head. I'll be glad to do another. Smile

~Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The item is a plaque,18" high x 8 1/2"wide, rounded at the top and coming to a point on the bottom. It is a young virgin Mary with the baby Jesus on a pillow and the torso of a angel across from Jesus. In the pointed bottom also is an angel face
with wings.

On the back of the plaque is a metal insert: P.P. Caproni Bro., Boston,Plastic Art

I looked up Caproni Bro on the internet and found many pieces of art, but
none exactly like the one I have. There is no year listed.

Thank you much, BEV S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I have the option to have another item valued in the same $40 charge?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bev.

P.P. Caproni Bro were mainly manufacturers of plaster reproductions of famous works. The metal insert does indicate that it's authentic.

The name is a giveaway to the date. The name of the company was changed during the 1930s. Also check the metal insert. It was changed to aluminum in later years. I didn't find your exact plaque (as in a picture of it), but I did find a catalog reference of a plaque matching that description from around 1920.

Based on the subject matter, date, and size, I'd estimate the piece in the range of $125 to $175.

Hope this helps!

~Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help on the Caproni Bro plaque. It is much appreciated. Bev S.