Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.

What are World War I toy soldiers worth

What are World War I toy soldiers worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Are these the little cast iron soldiers? Are there any marks on them? Do you know how many you have?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure if they are cast iron - they're not real heavy, but sturdy. I have 10 soldiers wearing "satellite-lookng" is carrying an American flat. I also have 8 soldiers that look like West Point cadets, marching, holding guns.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Opps...forgot...yes, there are marks on them. They were my father's toys, who was born in 1921.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
What marks do they have? The reason I ask is that there were a few different companies that put these old soldiers out and different makers have different values. I just want to make sure I get you the proper value. Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not really marks...They are just very aged-looking. However, the faces and expressions are clear and the paint is intact. There is some cracking...but not much. Very old-looking. On the bottom of the figures is "Lineol/Germany."

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will I hear from you?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.

When you got back with me, it was the middle of the night here.

Your soldiers are Manoil. Manoil Manufacturing Company was founded in NY in the late 1920s and they started making toy soldier around 1935. They lasted until about 1942 when the War did a lot of companies in. Although they just made soldiers for a short time and were considered "dimestore" toys, they were very popular and considered highly collectible.

Depending on how many pieces you have in your set and their condition, a group of Manoil soldiers can go for between $150 and $500. For a set of about 20, I'd estimate them around $200 to $250. If you have an extremely rare soldier, they can fetch between $30 and $60 for a single one. Common soldiers can typically bring between $5 and $12 each. For example, the Flag Bearer generally sells for around $10 to $15.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you want to try avenues other than auctions, like Ebay, I would check with your local antique shops. There are a number of collectors who deal in old military memorabilia and toys. I would consider visiting any old hobby or toy shops you might have.

You can also try listing it on craigslist or EbayClassifieds. They're currently free and reach a pretty wide audience. So, you have nothing to lose by trying them out. Etsy is another good source for selling.

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great weekend,