Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles
54715563

I have an original Wayne Morrell oil painting entitled Sunlit

I have an original Wayne Morrell oil painting entitled Sunlit Poppies in the Garden. It is signed and dated (1971) and measures 29 1/2 x 23 inches. It is framed and in excellent condition. We are the first and only owners. What do you think this is worth?
Valerie Mckeon
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you. Wayne Beam Morrell is a well recognized and listed artist with over 195 works in international art guides and databases. His current range for an oil of that genre is estimated from $1,500 to $3,500 and his recorded high was $8,500 in 1997 at auction in Pennsylvania (his next highest was $4,250 in 2009 in Connecticut). The vast majority of his works are offered for sale in Massachusetts and Maine. Hope this helps! Best, Will
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think that Wayne Morrell (1923) of Rockport, Mass is not the same person as Wayne Beam Morrell. Is that correct?

VM

Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.

Well, now you have me confused! Wayne Beam Morrell, according to my art guides (all three), state he was born in 1923 in Rockport--and signs his works Wayne Morrell--and is classified as American Impressionist...and he did a bunch of paintings of garden scenes--sure sounds like him! Here is one of his works for you to compare styles..

graphic.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What would be the best way to go about selling my Wayne Morrell painting?

Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
I personally would contact an auction house in the Boston area first...that is where his best following seems to be...likely Skinner's or Eldridge. Julia in Maine is also a good choice...but always insist on a reserve! Best, Will
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did contact (emailed) Eldridge but never heard back from them. Please explain further "always insist on a reserve!"

Val

Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
They will get back with you, but bear in mind they get dozens of inquiries an hour...I meant that you should not allow it to be sold without a bottom line price to be met...which is the reserve. Bottom line, if they can't net 70% of the bottom lines for the artist, don't let it go...unless you just wantto dispose of it. Best, Will