Ask C&A Appraisals (Randi) Your Own Q...

C&A Appraisals (Randi)
C&A Appraisals (Randi), Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  ISA Certified fully accredited USPAP. 30+years experience. Speaker, TV, Radio, Newspaper Featured.
19938325

Fontaine bros inc 1920 rocking chair...want to know about

Customer Question

Fontaine bros inc 1920 rocking chair...want to know about it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  C&A Appraisals (Randi) replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me a little more information about our rocker, wood type? Any upholstery? General condition? Do you need an insurance replacement (retail) value or a value for resale?

I am including information on 2 free photo upload sites that my customers find easy to use:

If you go to photobucket.com or snapfish.com, you can upload from your computer to create your photos album page. Then copy the album page link that is in your browser window at the top of your computer screen. You then paste that link into the reply to me. I am signed up for both and can go right to your album page to view your photos. It has to be the actual path/link from your album page to work correctly. They also have very good HELP tips if you have a problem.

You can cut and paste as noted above or provide me with your album page Name ID and Password XXXXX which I can go view the photos. If you want to do that, DO NOT use an email address as your ID name as Just Answer does not allow the experts to view email addresses and XXX's them out. My best, Randi

A photo or two is really valuable so am including instructions:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has origonal tags on it stating it was made by fontaine bros inc and approved 1920 in garner mass. made of polyurethane foam and colored cotton felt it says....and its that patchwork style clothe. Not sure of wood but has matching footstool that rocks also. It says style # XXXXX and in excelent condition.
Fontaine Bros. of Gardner, MA have been in business since 1920 (which is what is meant by the date on your tag). They are still in business, phone 1-978-632-1805. From the description your rocking chair and matching stool are probably in Hardrock maple with the original stuffings (which were not used in the 1920s). The style and material you describe were popular in the 1960-1975 era. The plaids and patchwork materials were very popular in that period. You have a very well made rocker and stool that has an insurance replacement of approximately $400-$450 in excellent condition. If you wish to sale it in todays market you would expect to receive from a dealer or at auction 1/3 to 1/4 of the retail value. My very best, Randi

Just checking back as I have been out for a few days over the 4th to see if you received your answer and are happy with it, my best, Randi