Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I need a vase appraised. How do I go about it

I need a vase appraised. How do I go about it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you. Can you please provide images and measurements? If you could note any markings, that will help as well.

Please either upload the images using the paperclip icon provided or to a free site such as PHOTOBUCKET.COM (and then forward me the link) or you can send them via email to experts@justanswer.com and ask they forward them to me (Will Gorges, Antiques category). You MUST send the images from the email that you used for the initial JustAnswer deposit, or tell them exactly what email you used or they have no way to forward them to experts. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not been able to find anything like it and it has been in my family forever. My aunt use to say it was very valuable but she has passed and now I have it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has not chips or cracks, it is in top condition Laughing
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Can you provide an image?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I emailed them to the address XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took them with my phone so I hope they are okay. If you need more pics please let me know.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Will advise when I receive them from customer service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it take long to get them?

Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Usually no more than 24 hours...I don't think they have staff on board 24-7. Best, Will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I send them another way?
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
I truly wish you could, but we are forbidden to give out or receive customer emails...they might fire me, and I still have a kid in college! It generally will clear customer service by morning, and I get up pretty early to check them....so please just give it a few hours and hopefully all will be well. I don't think JustAnswer keeps 24-7 customer service staff on hand as of yet. Best, Will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is the vasegraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
How totally cool! It is an opaque drip and swirl glaze that looks to be 1910-1930....I will do some digging and get back to you by tomorrow....but I am on it! I have several books to look through...no markings on the base?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The time line would be about right by from what my older family says. It came from my great grandmother and she was born in 1903 and it has been passed down from there. I think it is awsome
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
I agree...I am turning pages as I type this! Totally cool....I am hoping perhaps Tiffany or Pierpoint! We shall see...we shall see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
So, ya see any markings on the base?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the top looking down in it.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, I don't see any markings
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the bottom of itgraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why don't I see any like it on the internet? I usually can find pieces on sites like Ruby Lane, or google images- but nothing with this piece.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
OK, look VERY carefully all over the bottom and see if you see a little "o" anywhere, please...and the piece is custom glass, perhaps one of a kind, could be as early as the 1890's....so don't expect to find another just like it--in fact, you don't want to do that! It would be worth less....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How would the o be put on it would it be a stamp, painted,or what? I see a circular indention but I dont know if its a o.

Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
It was a little stamp impressed when the glass was still hot...maybe a bit over 2mm and sometimes with a number after it....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the only thng I see on the bottom graphic
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Nope, well Tiffany is out...but we are close in time line, no doubt...1890 ot 1920....I'm still looking...there is a LOT of art glass out there!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My aunt always said its quality belonged in a museum. Thats all I know
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
She was right...I think I found it! There was a company called "South Jersey Glass" that is still in business, though a bit different...and there is a piece very similar to yours listed on plate 21(text page 47) of American Glass by George and Helen McKearin, published 1941. This books dates the piece a bit earlier, 1860 to 1880, and the "modern" estimate puts the piece in the $2,500 to $3,000 range....I cannot fully confirm without seeing it, but you better protect that thing! I also suggest that if there is ever an antique show in your area that has some glass "pro" present, pad it up and take it for a visit....there are several other companies it also MIGHT be, but that is as close as I can come without spending another two hours....and my eyes are getting tired! Best, Will
Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience: 30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles