Michelle
Michelle, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience as an antiques dealer, collector, researcher, columnist and journalist.
52213563

i have The Complete Works of William Shakespeare 37 volumes

Customer Question

i have The Complete Works of William Shakespeare 37 volumes in one Walter J Black INC. the back cover is missing..I do have the front cover but binder has deteriated over time it is from 1932...I did not find the number on the book..probably was on the back cover...price please...all of the pages are in tact and in very good condition
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello, Michelle here. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Customer:

would you have an estimated value on this book?

Michelle :

Your book was published in the 1960's or 1970's. I could not find a Walter J. Black published in the 1930's. The first editions in London were published in 1932 and it was quite a few books.

Michelle :

With books condition is everything. Since your book is missing the back cover and the binder or spine is breaking down you book really has no resale value at all.

Customer:

someone had given this book to one of their employees and it is written december 25 1932

Customer:

that is what the person wrote in the cover

Michelle :

The date must mean something else as in 1932 it had not been condensed to one volume.

Customer:

if it werew published later than that why is the date 1932?

Michelle :

If the date is handwritten then we have no way of knowing what the date means. The date of publication for the book should be on one of the front few pages, usually the title page

Customer:

THE INSCRIPTION SAYS TO MY CAPABLE CLERK AND STRONGFELLOW aDELE mILLER DECEMBER 25 1932

Michelle :

Let me do some research online, I was looking at one of my reference books.

Customer:

IT IS WRITTEN IN INK NOT TYPED

Customer:

IF THERE IS NO VALUE THEN THANKYOU FOR YOU'RE TIME

Michelle :

The publications on the date you are giving me have a different publisher.

Michelle :

Despite it all we still have to look at the condition of the book.

Michelle :

I need to correct the information I put on earlier about the first edition it was first put out in the 1800's

Michelle :

I realize you probably are not thrilled with the information I have given regarding the value of your book but we strive to provide the best information possible and that is not always the most popular answer.

Michelle :

All my best, Michelle