Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.

I would like to know if 3 old cookbooks I have are worth anything.

I would like to know if 3 old cookbooks I have are worth anything. The first is a 1953 Good Housekeeping's Cookbooks. It's actually a collection of paper cookbooks all together in the original binder. The second and third books are 1955 Cooking Magic Fabulous Foods Step-by-Step Cookbooks #1 and #2 by Culinary Arts Institute. All 3 are in very good condition with only very minor wear to covers, all pages intact. Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

On the Good Housekeeping binder, is it the big green binder? How many booklets are in it?

Here's an example:

graphic

Are the Cooking Magic Fabulous in binders too?

graphic

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The binders are as shown on the first 2, the #2 edition from CAI is white with red spine. The Good Housekeeping binder has 19 books in it.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Wow. You've got a great set. I've seen the individual booklets listed for around $10 each depending on what it was.

For the Good Housekeeping binder, the prices seem to vary a bit depending on how many booklets are in it. For one from the early 1950s with around 20 booklets, you should looking at a value around $75 to $100.

For the Cooking Magic, I didn't find too many sets with both volumes. The value on these seems to run between $100 and $150.

Keep in mind that prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and where you try to sell it. Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less...sometimes as much as 25% less.

If you're looking to sell, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores.

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept (at no further cost to you) if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Congrats on having a couple of great sets. Old cookbooks are definitely collector items.

Thanks and have a great night,
Diana
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.