Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

what year is my sears Kenmore zig zag in cabinet, model#14812210

what year is my sears Kenmore zig zag in cabinet, model#14812210 or 1221- serial#03821 cabinet has a pic of a wind mill, looks like 50's or 60's ,I'm trying to find a value on it, thank you , T
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX and I believe that I will be able to help. I am a Qualified Appraiser specializing in Fine Art & Antiques and have an extensive library and countless antique sites subscriptions at my disposal. Having so many resources, I will need a little time to look into your request for you to make sure I am getting the most accurate information as possible. It would also help me if you could tell me everything you can find in the manual it should have the model number on it like Kenmore 48 version 1 please read it and see if there is a copyright date on it and you will know the year it was made and get back to me with it. This could be of major assistance. If you could provide this Information, it will really help me out in identifying your item. I will however try my best to locate and value it, but any provenance could affect the value so please get back to me ASAP!

I look forward to hearing from you and providing you with an answer! Thanks for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've read the whole manual, no copy date, The front says's-- Sears Kenmore Instructions, Model 1221 ZIG-ZAG Sewing Machine; The first page says's; Sears Roebuck And CO. At the bottom of the page is; Consumer Services Manager, Department 620, Sears Roebuck and company, 925 South Homan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60607,; On the back page it says's; Sears,Roebuck And CO; And Simpson-sears Limited; printed in Japan 202176 -63, The model # XXXXX the1.0 amp motor is 5186; The model # XXXXX the bottom of the machine is,148122110, and the serial# XXXXX XXXXX with vertigo num,736; On the front of the sewing machine it says; (sears) KENMORE, it is in a maple cabinet, 21 and 1/2 in wide by17 and 1/2 in deep, And 31 in tall, with top open, it is 43 in wide, it has a cutting grove, the front has a windmill on it, and it swings open, with built in tray a bobbin placement, hope all this helps; it works perfect, I paid $40 buck at a garage sale:) Hoping I didn't get ripped off, But I like it ,no matter what Hoping you can help, with date and value, Thank you T.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning

I think I can help you with this, here is some information on the Kemore Machines that were made and sold for Sears.

The 1950s

• In 1950, Sears again offered only one model of the Kenmore Rotary, model 117-169. The company gradually began selling more machines as the decade wore on. It offered 17 models of the Kenmore and Kenmore Rotary through 1959. In 1956, Sears began selling its first zig-zag machine, the Kenmore Zig-Zag Automatic, models 117 thru 740 : . I believe in your numberNNN-NN-NNNNfalls between the 117 thru 740 In the 1950s, Sears began dropping the Rotary designation and started identifying its machines by numbers. This was the start of the 120 series of sewing machines.

The 1960s

• In the 1960s, Sears sold 113 models of Kenmore sewing machines, beginning with the 76, model 120-760. Also in the 1960s, buttonhole attachments and decorator attachments were available for some machines.

The 1970s

• The 1976 Sears catalog offered the first Kenmore convertible sewing machine. It featured a removable section that left just a narrow projection where the needle and faceplate were located, called the free arm. "Sleeves, armholes, cuffs and collars slip right on. Also pant legs," the ad explains. This feature is now common on sewing machines.

In the 1970s, Kenmore was available in 68 models, from the 1020 to the 1980.

Hope this gives you and idea of when your 's was made. If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me. And if you would like to use me on any further questions, feel free putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question line, then I will be sure to get it. Look forward to working with you again.

Please click accept if I have been of any help to you, (with no further expense to you)

We are only paid by Just Answer after you click accept. Otherwise we are not

compensated for our time.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Great day.

Glenda

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX answer just a few more? for me; This machine has buttonhole adjustment on it, dose that put it in the 50's or 60's ? and how much is it worth?, can you attach any pic's or info? Thanks T.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello
I do not have any pictures of these machines,

In the 1960s, Sears sold 113 models of Kenmore sewing machines, beginning with the 76, model 120-760. Also in the 1960s, buttonhole attachments and decorator attachments were available for some machines. This means that you could purchase the items for the machines in the 60's

It is currently selling for around 150.00.on the retail market , ( cost replacement at auctions ) .

Thank you

Have a great day

Glenda

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.