Diane in PA
Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience:  14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.

What is the appraised worth of a Stewart -Warner Model 11-9B7

What is the appraised worth of a Stewart -Warner Model 11-9B7 Magic Keyboard 117 Volts
50-60 cycles 85 watt Radio with Magic antenna. The number 99726 is pressed into the back side of the radio. I have pictures available .
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diane in PA replied 3 years ago.

Diane in PA :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer! My name is Diane. I will try to help you with the value of your radio. Please give me 24-36 hours (maximum) to do some research. Thank you while I help other customers with their antiques as well. Have a nice night. - "Diane in PA"

Diane in PA :

Before I begin though, can I ask where on the radio it states "Magic Keyboard"?

Also, your photos did not come through. Could you please try again using my instructions below?

Thank you.

Diane in PA :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Instructions to upload photos:

First, try this. Go to the following link. It is a very short "video" with instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFMEtpDkow&fmt=37

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or, if you would prefer to read the instructions:

** FIRST, be sure that your photos are NO larger than 1 mb (size "1,000). If so, they need to be resized, (made smaller). Otherwise the photos will not upload. **

Per the "Just Answer" Web site policy, no one is allowed to share any personal info, such as phone numbers or email addresses. (when someone does, the Just Answer site's software turns all of that information into "X's" anyway.) So in order to upload pictures you need to upload them directly to this chat box.

1. At the top of this REPLY messages box (where you type your reply to me) is a "paperclip" icon. Click on this icon.
2. Click on the "Browse" button you see in the new window.
3. Another box will pop up. Click "browse" on that as well.
3. Locate the address of your photo on your computer.
4. Select that photo address and DOUBLE-CLICK so that the address of your photo enters into the empty box (called the 'field').
5. Click the Insert button.
6. Click the Insert button again (on the second pop-up).
7. DONE!
8. Your photo should now show in the REPLY area of our messages.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Customer:

Diane, I believe I resent the photo's. the name Magic Keyboard is on the front between the two dials. Also the number pressed into the wood on the back side of the body is 9726. the number in the original inquiry is incorrect. Please confirm that you received the pictures and can view.

Diane in PA :

Beautiful radio. Thank you for the photos. I will research this sometime tomorrow and get back to you, hopefully within 24 hours. Thank you for your patience. - Diane in PA

Diane in PA :

Country: United States of America (USA)

Manufacturer/Brand: Stewart Warner Corp.; Chicago (IL)

Brand Ferrodyne

Year: 1940 ? Type: Radio - or past WW2 tuner

Valves / Tubes 9: 6SK7 6J5GT 6SA7 6SK7 6SQ7 6J5GT 6F6G 6F6G 5Y3G

Country: United States of America (USA)

Principle

Superhet with RF-stage; IF-Freq 455 kHz

Tuned circuits

6 AM circuit(s)

Wave bands

Broadcast and Short Wave (SW).

Power type and voltage

Alternating Current supply (AC) / 117 Volt

Loudspeaker

Electro Magnetic Dynamic LS (moving-coil with field excitation coil)

Model: 11-9B series chassis

Material

Metal case

Shape

Chassis only or for «building in»

Notes

Chassis 11-9B is employed in several models; mains supply 117 V (50-60 or 25 cycles); push button tuner; built-in loop antenna; push-pull af output stage; 12 or 10 inch speaker.

Diane in PA :

Hello. After quite a while doing research, I can tell you that there is very little information out there on this particular model, but just incase you've never read up on the history of the company, I have pasted some info from http://www.stewartwarner.com/Comp/hist.html

The Stewart-Warner Corp. began as the Stewart and Clark Co., founded by XXXXX XXXXX, and made automotive parts, particularly speedometers. In 1912, the Alemite Co. (led by Edgar Bassick) and the Warner Instrument Co. merged with Stewart, forming the Stewart-Warner Speedometer Corp. (later known as the Stewart-Warner Instrument Co.). The firm had a huge factory on Diversey Parkway in Chicago. Radio production began in 1925, and to support its radio products, Stewart-Warner bought the O&T tube factory in New York City, which had previously made Silvertone tubes. Although its tube manufacturing business was not very successful, Stewart-Warner was building radios at the rate of 1,000 units per day by 1926. Designers included Leonard E. Parker, Sylvan Harris, and C.P. Mason.Stewart-Warner was sued by Westinghouse in 1926 over claims that Stewart-Warner sets could oscillate under certain circumstances and thereby violated patents for regenerative receivers. Eventually all patent disputes were settled in 1927 when Stewart-Warner got a license for the RCA patent pool. The company suffered from overproduction and had to sell off excess inventory at low prices on several occasions. Fortunately, the company's automotive parts business did better and kept the company healthy.In addition to automotive parts, radios, and TVs, Stewart-Warner also produced refrigerators for a time.

Today, the Stewart-Warner brand continues on, with the original company now part of Maxima Technologies, a supplier of automotive parts, which is owned by Actuant Corp. The clock tower of the original Stewart-Warner factory complex still stands on Diversey Parkway in Chicago as the only remaining monument to what was once there. Sources:1. Alan Douglas, "Radio Manufacturers of the 1920s," Vol. 3, The Vestal Press Ltd., Vestal, NY (1991).2. Company history and current information at www.stewartwarner.com.

I am still going to research your model to see what I can find. Thank you for your continued patience. - Diane

Diane in PA :

I am finding other similar models of Stewart Warner floor models, wood cabinets, from the same time period. All of those sell between $75 to $200, in working condition. The vast majority of them priced any higher than $200 remain virtually unsold.

I think that the following discussion between other "radio-heads" on this model interesting, as well as confirm the value.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142922&sid=71e38233ec397b3a42996571e08ad986

Of course the value would depend on the selling venue and the area you sell it. It will sell for the higher price in a major metropolitan area and much less in a rural area. Condition also comes into play as well.

+++++++++++++++++

I hope I have been both helpful and timely in answering your question. ;-)

Please click "Accept" if I have been of any assistance to you. I am only paid for my time and effort when you click the green "Accept" button. I would appreciate if you would leave me positive feedback and bonuses are welcomed. Thanks again. If you ever need help with another antique, old book, art, etc. and would like to request me, please bookmark the following link and type your new question into the white box on my profile page: http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-diane-mcelhaney/

Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience: 14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
++++++++++++++++++++

If you are not happy with my answer Frown please let me know. After all, my ultimate aim is happy customers! Laughing

Have a great weekend!

++++++++++++