Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

What is the value of a sword made in Columbus Ohio by Wiley

What is the value of a sword made in Columbus Ohio by Wiley & Co. or possibly Lilley & Co. with a bone handle engraved with a cross and a helmet like a knights helmet on top of brass. It has James Hitchcock engraved on the sword in a sheath of metal that is very elaborately decorated with crowned crosses and many other crests and figures? Can I attach a picture some how? The pictures on the hilt and the sheath look like crusade with crowns , crosses and shields and helmets.

Your sword from the marking on it was made Columbus Ohio 1865-1882, these swords can range in price of around 1400.00 ( as intricate as yours is ) depending on the condition of the sword and where it is sold at. These are highly collectible, if you are going to sell this, I would list it on Craigslist, it is free and it is scoured by collectors. You might also google sword collectors, there are many websites dedicated to persons who collect swords. Here is the information on the company that made the sword.

Swords marked with LILLEY were made from 1865 to 1953 (Some swords may have been manufactured before 1865). Most of the swords manufactured by Lilley sword companies over the years were society swords. The founder Mitchell C. Lilley was born in 1819 in Columbus Ohio and died in 1882. Served in the Mexican War (1847-1848) and the Civil War (1861-1862). He was a bookbinder and publisher and published Masonic and Odd Fellows books. In 1865 started the M. C. LILLEY & CO which produced regalia and swords. This included society swords, US regulation swords (Model 1872 cavalry officers swords), and theatrical swords. Upon his death in 1882, the name was changed to THE M. C. LILLEY & CO and Charles H. Lindenburg became president. They expanded into a complete line of military swords, uniforms, accessories, and equipment. They issued many military and society catalogs, including a 1919 presentation sword catalog. In 1923 the M. C. Lilley & Co purchased Henderson-Ames and two years later purchased the Ames Sword Company. In that year, 1925, the name was changed to THE LILLEY CO.. The Ames equipment, tools machinery, etc. were moved from Chicopee, MA, to Columbus Ohio. In 1931 the name was changed to THE LILLEY-AMES CO.. They made a complete line of US regulation swords, including Marine Corps, West Point cadet, and Annapolis cadet swords. In 1941 they had a U.S. contract for 2,936 Model 1941 naval cutlasses with scabbards. The company failed to diversify as regalia sales declined and the company was sold to C. E. Ward in 1951. It operated as a badge manufacturer under the name of LILLEY AMES CO. from 1951 to 1953

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me. And if you would like to use me on any further questions, feel free putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question line, then I will be sure to get it. Look forward to working with you again.

Please click accept if I have been of any help to you, (with no further expense to you)

We are only paid by Just Answer after you click accept. Otherwise we are not

compensated for our time.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Great day.