Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I have an old iron shoemakers anvil stand with 3 different

I have an old iron shoemaker's/cobbler's anvil stand with 3 different shoes sizes and am curious as to what they might be worth. There are some makings them that states they were manufactured in the U.S. and sizes on the shoe forms. I believe they are circa 1910. I also have pictures if you want to see what they look like. Any info would be helpful. Thank, Carol
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.
Hi! My name is Will Gorges and I am pleased to be able to assist you. Iron cobbler stands were a common item from the late 1800's well into the mid-1900's because people actually repaired shoes instead of buying new ones (a lesson we could all learn from today). Virtually every corner shoe store had a set. The basic vertical stand was cast iron with notches in the base to allow fastening to a bench or work table. Each stand set included several shoe forms of different sizes to accomodate holding the shoe in place while the sole was replaced. These sets were generally not used to MAKE shoes but rather repair them. Eventually, by the 1930's, shoe nails (which had also been wooden pegs) were replaced with stitching machines and the forms became obsolete. Some were still in use for shoe stores who replaced soles or half soles up to the late 1960's and there are even a few such places around today, but not many. It has gradually become a lost art in a throw away society. I have checked into some recent sales and have found the cast iron forms generally retail for between $25 and $65 with a single shoe form. Additional forms generally retail in the $12 to $35 dollar range. If your forms and base sound different from what I am describing, please forward a picture. There were many different makers but all of them were basically the same. Hope this helps and good luck with your Americana collectibles!