Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA
49865320

I have what looks like an antique Duncan Phyfe sofa. How can

I have what looks like an antique Duncan Phyfe sofa. How can I be sure, be able to tell the age of the sofa, and what it might be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Duncan Phyfe sofas are usually a beautiful mahogany and look carved rather than pressed or mass produced. He was a fine craftsman and his attention to detail was what he was known for as well as his flowing Empire designs. The wood should also be aged and have some evidence of wear if it is truly an early piece by the maker and dimensions were usually 34 inches by 84.75 inches by 23.75 inches on the average.This one is a fine antique reproduction with new tacking and upholstery but the wood and detail is what is most telling.

Regardless Duncan Phyfe reproductions, old and new are still desirable and sell fairly well on the antique market and in other venues. This one would have a value in the range of 2500.00.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press accept as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you