Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA

I have an oil painting by John Chi. It is in good condition

Customer Question

I have an oil painting by John Chi. It is in good condition and probably 45 years old.
How do I find out if it is worth anything?

Marybelle Dilts XXXXX
Lansing, MI 48912
[email protected]
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

The best thing that you could do right now since you have done quite a bit of research already, is go to a Chinese art specialist. I have a couple that I rely on who are very reputable and known for their expertise. I like to give patrons options so here are a few.

Andrew Kahane -

Specialized in Chinese works of art since 1986. Clients include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, the Freer Gallery of Art, and the Musee Guimet, Paris.

The China Coast -

Active in the field of Asian art and antiques for over 20 years; owned and operated antiques export service in Bangkok, Thailand; owned and operated Oriental art and antiques shop in Washington DC

Werner - Aye Asian Fine Art Appraisals - [email protected]
internationally recognized appraiser and translator to auction houses, museums and private collectors for over 20 years in the field of Tibetan, Indian, South East Asian and Chinese art

Lastly Skinner, Inc. is a very good auction house of Asian antiques in Boston, Mass. Their director of the Asian division, James Callahan is a known authority and they do appraisals at their site, if you choose to try that direction.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press accept as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you