S. August Abbott
S. August Abbott, BusinessOwner, Buy/Sell/Appraise
Experience:  Buy & Sell Antiques, Collectibles for more than 30 years
1604863

i have a soft sculpture cabbage patch doll that has on her

i have a soft sculpture cabbage patch doll that has on her left butt cheek Ellen signed. Is this an original?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  S. August Abbott replied 5 years ago.
-- The signature by itself doesn't really indicate much, so help me out with a little more info on this

First, how long is the doll? IE: 14", 13" ?

Next, what is the color of the signature?

Finally, describe the doll. For example, "little redheaded boy", "dark haired girl with dimples", African-American, Asian, etc..

Is there teeth showing? A tooth? Removable pacifier?

Does the doll have the birth certificate? Do you know if the clothing is original? Diaper still on?

Thanks for any details you can give

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the doll is a white girl with red stringy hair in two poiny tails. she has green eyes that have been painted on she is 17" from her feet to the top of her head. the clothes look original she is wearing a diaper and no birth cirtificate the signature is in black ink and it says ellen with a heart drawn beneath the signature
You've described one of the original dolls from 1983-84. The size is a little big which leads me to suspect it's possibly an original "little people" doll meaning it's prior to 1983, but there would usually be a tag saying so and the head would be soft, material rather than vinyl, although the body is all soft.

If it's a "little people" doll, even without papers and box might re sell for up to $50, possibly more in very good condition in the right venue with motivated buyer.

A cabbage patch doll from the original 1980's Coleco in very good to excellent condition with all original items, including papers and box might re sell for up to $100 depending on where sold and again, buyer motivation. People like what they like - there's no accounting for taste when it comes to these dolls or possibly who they think the doll reminds them of.

--- A doll without papers in fair to even very good condition currently re sells for between $10-20.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The dolls head is soft. The entire doll is soft. My research says the dolls have Xazier signed on their butt cheeks but this particular doll is signed Ellen with a heart drawn beaneth it. It is definitely not an 80's doll. I have a couple from the 80's and this one I feel is a "Original people" doll but I'm not sure??

Yes, I had mentioned that I suspected this could be a “little people” version (please 1st response).

---

The signature on original Little People was just Xavier rather than the full Xavier Roberts like on Cabbage Patch dolls.

Perhaps the way Xavier is written looks like “Ellen” ?

Or, perhaps someone altered the signature for some unknown reason? Possibly erased or otherwise removed the original signature somehow.

There’s always the possibility that it’s a homemade doll. Even though Little People were reasonably priced, a skilled seamstress or ‘fabric artesian’ could make one at home for less. It’s also not unheard of to find imitators trying to match the lines of successful sales lines with their own names on the product.

Without the box or papers and no known provenance (history) all we can really do is base estimations on the assumption that it’s a real “Little People” or “Cabbage Patch”