Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have a very old Dressmaker Special sewing machine it looks

I have a very old Dressmaker Special sewing machine it looks a lot like a Singer and I am having a hard time getting information on this machine. I have pictures if you need them.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

A Singer machine would have a plaque or name on it some place. If it says "Dressmaker Special" with no other marks on it, it becomes a little more difficult to find the manufacturer.

Michelle :

I was able to go online and find a photo of one. I found one that was actually an exact reproduction of one made in 1939 and then I came across another site where someone had a Dressmaker Special machine with the cover, books and accessories and it was valued at $35.00.

Michelle :

The problem with antique and vintage sewing machines of all types is that they were made to work hard and last forever and this they have done. The only machines that sell for a reasonable price are the Singer "Red Eye", they have a lot of pretty decals on them and one looks like a big red eye.

Michelle :

If you are a seamstress I would get it cleaned, a new belt put on it and use it. I love my old Singer for quilt making.

Michelle :

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you.

Michelle :

Thank you for your question.

Customer:

I would like to send you some pics of the machine I think it would help you if have a visual reference. Would that help you?

Customer:

I do not accept this answer. I have pictures that I believe will help you. I can go look on a couple of web sites my self. But that is not what I put the $20.00 in this for. I see that you have closed this case and to me that tells me your not willing to finish this. Thank you but I don't accept you answer.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello

I would like to try to help you price this machine, can you send me the pictures you have of this machine. I have access to a large reference Library of Sewing Machines, old and newer. Look forward to seeing yours.

Thank you

Glenda

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Glenda

I do have pictures but don't know how to get them to you. Please let me know. I tried to attach a pic but it said that the file was to big. So let me know how I can get them to you.

Thank you

Patrick Jacobs

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Patrick

Ok, first off , size the pictures in your computer program to no larger then 1 mb, also if you put them in j peg form it works much better. I am enclosing a couple of options for you to get photos to me, one should work.

Here are instructions for sending several ways, be sure it is uploaded to your computer, in jpeg form, no larger then 1 mb. When you upload the picture you will be able to see it in this message box before you send it to me.

If all else fails you can upload to your face book page and send me the link to the photo page here.

Glenda

1.

You can send a photo to me , in this message box, you will see at the top the little paper clip, click on that.

then click on browse, another box will open up

then click on browse in that box, this will take you to your photos on your computer,

you click on the one you want to send , then click on the picture ,

then click open, this will put it in the second box you opened,

then click ok, then you are back to the first box click on insert.

The picture will show up in the message area before you send it to me, you should be able to see it.

2

TinyPic is a good place to upload photos. You do have to have the images saved on your computer, but you can upload photos without having to register or give them any information.

1) Go to www.tinypic.com
2) The first thing you'll see is an upload page.
3) Click on "Browse".
4) Choose the image you want to upload.
5) Make sure the file type chosen is "Image".
6) In the "Resize" box, choose either "Website/Email" or "Message Board".
7) Click "Upload Now".

You'll see a verification box pop up. Just type in the words it shows and click "upload now". It might take a few minutes to upload.

Once it does, you'll be given 4 different viewing options.

Just copy either the addresses in the "URL for E-Mail & IM" or "Direct Link for Layouts" and paste the link into the message box.

3

Go to a free file hosting website such as Photobucket.com, Snapfish.com, Flickr.com and click on the Upload button. Then navigate to your file and select it, and click the Start Upload button. When the uploading has completed you will be given a link to download the file. Copy the link and paste it in your question, and the Experts will be able to click on the link to download the file.

??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Patrick

Here is a picture of a Dress maker that sold on the internet. You can see it was made by singer. It looks almost identical to yours. This one sold for this price. Hope this helps you , If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me.

Please click accept if I have been of any help to you, (with no further expense to you).

Our pay comes out of the deposit or membership you already paid.

We are only paid by Just Answer after you click accept, not clicking accept means we have worked for free.

Thank you , have a Great day.

Glenda

PRICE US $329.00

Dressmaker Class 15 Sewing Machine/ Singer Model 15 Clone Early 1950s

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.