Diane in PA
Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience:  14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.

harpers pictorial history of the civil war the fairfax press...

Customer Question

harper's pictorial history of the civil war the fairfax press... alfred h. guernsey and henry m. alden may 1866 crown publishers inc
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diane in PA replied 5 years ago.

Collection Selecti&# :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer! My name is Diane. I hope I will be able to help you discover more about your antique book today.

Please don't take this personally but are you 100% sure it is "Crown" publishers and not "The Fairfax Press" ?

What is the "sub-title"? Meaning, what is written UNDERneath the title on the title page?

Is this Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 ?

Description of cover?

Number of pages?

This will help me in giving you a value. Thank you. - Diane

Customer :

15 1/4 11 1/4 cover cloth on cardboard (navy) blue w/ the farfax presss emblem in gold on the right corner 836 pages doesnt say the vol.

Customer :

it says both farfax and crown on the inside it says crown on the frount it says farfax

Collection Selecti&# :

OK, thank you. Let me see what I can find out for you.

Collection Selecti&# :

Are you SURE this was published in 1866? Does the book look like it is old enough to be Civil-war era? I don't know if they really were into making books of that size back then. Sounds like a "coffee table book". And with the two publishers (Crown and Fairfax), I'm confused. Fairfax published this same title in 1977, 1986, and 1987.

Chicago: Star Publishing Company published 2 volumes in 1894.

Collection Selecti&# :

Then, if you read this seller's description, you'll see 1) he is confused about his own book and cannot even give a proper description and 2) is asking more money than ANY other seller of this book - ($500.00). 3) And he says his is LEATHER covers and comes in 2 volumes 4) he "assumes" it was published in 1866.

Collection Selecti&# :

Then, the other "oversized coffee table books" published by Random House 1987 have dust jackets and sell online for $1.00:

So please let me know if Are you you think this was published in 1866 and if you really think the book looks old enough to be Civil-war era.